Another case of unusual amnestic syndrome that includes bilateral hippocampal lesions on MRI has been described.
Higher-concentration intranasal naloxone has similar efficacy to that of intramuscular naloxone given at the same dose for reversal of opioid overdose.
There is a significantly increased risk of prescription opioid deaths for those born between 1947 and 1964.
There may be more health benefits at a lower cost with immediate access to opioid agonist treatment for patients with opioid use disorder.
After surgical procedures, the optimal length of opioid prescription lies between the observed median prescription length and the early nadir.
The CDC is is launching a campaign to help fight the opioid crisis.
It is recommended that physicians educate their patients/their patients' family members regarding the steps to take in case of a potential overdose.
Assessments showed a 66% reduction in pain during the session and a 33% reduction in pain at the end of the session.
Younger adults who use methamphetamine are at a greater risk for stroke.
As a response to the opioid epidemic, clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids.
Even though there are concerns about opioid addiction and misuse, there are still more than 1/3 of Americans using them.
Quality of life and improved pain and function may be achieved by reducing opioid doses.
Hospitalists must use opioids judiciously, including adhering to specific dose limits and setting expectations for pain control, medication stop dates, and refills.
Patients with chronic pain may have a lower risk of becoming addicted to opioids if they are taught coping skills.
Patients receiving buprenorphine maintenance therapy for their opioid use disorder may have impaired sleep, although they report improvements in both quality and duration of sleep.
Early onset of motor symptoms related to substance abuse appeared to significantly affect women compared with men.
Prescriptions for benzodiazepine lasting 2-3 months or more and marked dose increases should be avoided.
New research suggests that opioid addiction may be linked to a genetic variant, and more personalized treatment may help those with the change.
Results indicate that patients with AUD show significant impairments in social problem resolution task.
Patients who underwent thoracic surgery were at the greatest risk of long-term opioid use.
The 6-month implant is more expensive than the pills, costing about $4,900 -- or more than $800 a month.
Revised labeling will occur across all types of opioids.
The new guidelines come in the wake of an opioid overdose epidemic in the U.S.
Opioid prescriptions for patients with neuropathic pain may not improve their physical function or disability.
Investigators honed in on a specific lipid transmitter, the endogenous cannabinoid 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG), and found that inhibition of its enzymatic biosynthesis by diacylglycerol lipase (DAGL) restores the gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) functionality compromised by chronic nicotine exposure.
More than 90% of patients with chronic pain continue to receive prescription opioids even after an overdose.
The drug can reverse the effects of opioid overdose in as little as 2 minutes.
Over 40 health care provider groups have committed to opioid prescriber training over the next 2 years.
The CDC found that only a small number of doctors are responsible for large amounts of opioid prescriptions.
The prevalence of prescription opioid use disorder grew from 2003 to 2013.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Epilepsy's Mobility Problem: Advocating for Changes in Transportation Laws, Public Resources
- Efficacy of Cladribine Tablets in Patients With Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Performance, Mood Deficits, White Matter Hyperintensities in Migraine
- Some Common Allergies Linked to Odds of Autism in Children
- Disrupted Thalamo-Striato-Hypothalamic Function May Serve as a Good Biomarker for Parkinson Disease
- Polyphenol-Rich Diet May Reduce Dementia Risk in Older Adults
- Addressing Migraine That Mimics Stroke
- Visual Association Test, MMSE Highly Predictive of Dementia in Older Adults
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Medical Cannabis Shows Promise in Treating Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
- Rituximab Effectively Reduces Disease Activity in Multiple Sclerosis
- Characteristics, Treatment Response Similar in Idiopathic, 22q11.2 Deletion Syndrome-Associated Parkinson Disease
- Lifestyle, Behavioral Factors Contribute to Dementia Risk Assessment
- FDA Lifts Clinical Hold on Trial for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Treatment
- Fremanezumab Chronic Cluster Headache Study Discontinued