Clobazam is currently FDA-approved for the treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in children 2 years and older.
The diagnostic tool may be especially useful in cases of nonlesional mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.
Patients with refractory epilepsy who fail to benefit from 2 or more AEDs should be referred to alternative therapies.
Patients who died from suspected SUDEP had extensive damage to areas of the mid-brain and brainstem that control autonomic function.
Continuous Infusion in Refractory Status Epilepticus Linked to Increased Mortality, Longer Hospital StayDecember 03, 2017
Researchers compared outcomes between patients treated with continuous infusion or repeated doses of nonbenzodiazepine anti-seizure medication.
Cannabidiol Effective for Reducing Drop Seizures in Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome Regardless of Clobazam UseDecember 03, 2017
The study was a post-hoc analysis of responders who were on or off concomitant clobazam.
Patients undergoing treatment for ischemic stroke are at greater risk for seizure development.
Researchers examined whether there are clinical features or treatments associated with neuropsychiatric outcomes in BECTS.
Treatment algorithms are needed for patients with epilepsy who present with evidence of bone loss.
Treatment with positive airway pressure may help retain or improve seizure control in patients with epilepsy and obstructive sleep apnea.
Preoperative cognitive function is a central component of predicting cognitive outcomes after resective epilepsy surgery.
This objective score may have the potential to be an early outpatient screening tool for identifying PNES.
Researchers suggest the combined effects of adrenarche and menarche may play a role in the relationship.
The investigators advised that patients who require continued-dose escalation should be transitioned to a first-line therapy for absence epilepsy.
Compared with previous research, the current study found little risk for SUDEP in children without cognitive deficit.
Approximately one-third of pediatric patients with refractory convulsive status epilepticus develop neurologic deficits.
Although unplanned, women with epilepsy were very likely to take required prenatal vitamins.
Add-on Cannabidiol Generally Safe for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy, Dravet, Lennox-Gastaut SyndromesDecember 02, 2017
Adverse reactions in the CBD group included decreased appetite, diarrhea, fatigue, lethargy, nasopharyngitis, pneumonia, pyrexia, rash, and somnolence.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Epilepsy Risk Identified in Multiple Sclerosis
- Distinct Clinical Characteristics Associated With Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Managing Chronic Pain Associated With Traumatic Brain Injury
- Magnesium Plus Environmental Enrichment Boosts Cognition, Memory in Alzheimer's Mouse Model
- Prognostic Significance of Weight Loss in Patients With Early Parkinsonism
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- When and How to Approach Driving Cessation in Patients With Dementia
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Erenumab, Fremanezumab Reduce Migraine Frequency, Burden
- Some Antiepileptic Drugs Associated With Increased Risk for Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- McDonald Criteria Update: Further Distinction Between Relapsing-Remitting, Primary-Progressive MS
- Initial Treatment With Ethosuximide Improves Behavioral Outcomes in Childhood Absence Epilepsy
- Bevacizumab Wins Full FDA Approval for Glioblastoma Treatment
- Men With Parkinson Disease More Likely to Have Caregiver
- Diet Linked to Multiple Sclerosis Disability, Disease Severity