Clobazam is currently FDA-approved for the treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in children 2 years and older.
The diagnostic tool may be especially useful in cases of nonlesional mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.
Patients with refractory epilepsy who fail to benefit from 2 or more AEDs should be referred to alternative therapies.
Patients who died from suspected SUDEP had extensive damage to areas of the mid-brain and brainstem that control autonomic function.
Continuous Infusion in Refractory Status Epilepticus Linked to Increased Mortality, Longer Hospital StayDecember 03, 2017
Researchers compared outcomes between patients treated with continuous infusion or repeated doses of nonbenzodiazepine anti-seizure medication.
Cannabidiol Effective for Reducing Drop Seizures in Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome Regardless of Clobazam UseDecember 03, 2017
The study was a post-hoc analysis of responders who were on or off concomitant clobazam.
Patients undergoing treatment for ischemic stroke are at greater risk for seizure development.
Researchers examined whether there are clinical features or treatments associated with neuropsychiatric outcomes in BECTS.
Treatment algorithms are needed for patients with epilepsy who present with evidence of bone loss.
Treatment with positive airway pressure may help retain or improve seizure control in patients with epilepsy and obstructive sleep apnea.
Preoperative cognitive function is a central component of predicting cognitive outcomes after resective epilepsy surgery.
This objective score may have the potential to be an early outpatient screening tool for identifying PNES.
Researchers suggest the combined effects of adrenarche and menarche may play a role in the relationship.
The investigators advised that patients who require continued-dose escalation should be transitioned to a first-line therapy for absence epilepsy.
Compared with previous research, the current study found little risk for SUDEP in children without cognitive deficit.
Approximately one-third of pediatric patients with refractory convulsive status epilepticus develop neurologic deficits.
Although unplanned, women with epilepsy were very likely to take required prenatal vitamins.
Add-on Cannabidiol Generally Safe for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy, Dravet, Lennox-Gastaut SyndromesDecember 02, 2017
Adverse reactions in the CBD group included decreased appetite, diarrhea, fatigue, lethargy, nasopharyngitis, pneumonia, pyrexia, rash, and somnolence.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- US Opioid Overdose Deaths Reach Record Number
- Migraine Treatment in the ED: Overcoming Our Penchant for Opioids
- Erenumab as a Therapy for Hard to Treat Episodic Migraine
- Abnormalities in Genes Linked to IRSP in Alzheimer Disease
- Recommended Levels of Cardiovascular Risk Factors Associated With Cerebral Vessel Density, Flow
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Addressing Levodopa-Resistant Parkinson Disease
- High Daily Stress Linked to Migraine Prevalence in Women
- Researchers Identify Coffee Component That May Provide Neuroprotection
- Functional Imaging in Movement Disorders: Diagnostic Advantages
- Dextroamphetamine Plus Physical Therapy Nonsuperior to Placebo for Improving Post-Stroke Motor Recovery
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy