Autism Spectrum Disorder
There is international consensus as to the importance of work experience and vocational training for helping individuals with ASD obtain employment.
There are currently no approved pharmacological treatments that address these core symptoms of ASD.
Medical records of 48 children examined by Asperger show that he specifically called for 12 of the children to be transferred to the Am Spieglegrund facility, the 'euthanasia' institution founded in 1940.
Although compensating for their difficulties may help people with ASD connect with others, get jobs, and successfully navigate social situations, accumulating research suggests it can also lead to exhaustion, burnout, anxiety, and depression.
Co-occurrence of ADHD is common in children with autism spectrum disorder.
Vaccination rates were significantly lower among younger siblings of children with ASD.
Researchers reported the results of a stereological analysis of the number of neurons in the amygdala nuclei to compare neurotypical development to autism spectrum disorder development.
The group with ASD had a greater mean depth of ultrasonographic penetration in the first trimester compared with the developmental delay group.
Children who are exposed to AEDs in utero may have a reduced risk of autistic traits.
Although the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder is known to be more common among males than among females in the general population, information on sex-specific recurrence patterns is lacking.
Lower odds of ASD with intellectual disability were seen in the maternal multivitamin use group with or without additional iron or folic acid.
The treatment was effective in patients with autism with or without comorbid ADHD or neurogenetic disorders.
Investigators have developed guidelines to follow for the use of art therapy in children with autism spectrum disorder.
Antidepressant use before conception was associated with a higher risk of autism spectrum disorders compared with antidepressant use during pregnancy.
All of the studies were small, including anywhere from 12 to 92 children, and they typically lasted less than 6 months.
Infants at risk for autism do better if therapists train parents to communicate more effectively.
The FDA has warned and/or taken action against a number of companies that have made improper claims about the intended use of their products to treat or cure autism.
Despite increased awareness, barriers to earlier diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder still persist.
An open-label study examined the effects of fecal microbiota transfer on symptoms of autism.
Infection with the flu or receiving the flu vaccine during pregnancy was not linked to autism in offspring.
A diagnosis of autism is associated with a doubled risk for a variety of substance use-related problems including drug and alcohol use disorders.
Although PCB chemicals were banned int he 1970s, they still linger in the environment.
Administration of the M-CHAT/F can be done by minimally trained PCPs.
The rate of autism diagnosis was 11.3% for those with an older sibling with autism, and .92% for those without.
Children with autism had a hearing deficit within a specific frequency.
The results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
Ziprasidone and quetiapine were not associated with an increase in BMI.
The authors suggest that it's "perhaps not a fair direct comparison" to note that the CDC&P estimate of community prevalence for ASD is 15 per 1000 children.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future ASD in patients with epilepsy
Researchers will now have to explore the optimal dose for the supplements.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Vitamin D: The Only Dietary Supplement Showing Significant Benefit for MS
- Concussion Misdiagnosis Associated With Emergency Department Stay, Injury Type
- Evolution of NEDA: Q&A With Cleveland Clinic's Dr Robert Bermel
- Micronutrient Levels May Be Altered in ADHD
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Solriamfetol Associated With Improvement in Narcolepsy Types 1 and 2
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Low Income, Singlehood, and Race Tied to Seizure Control in Active Epilepsy
- FNIH Launches Project to Identify Biosignatures of Neurodegenerative, Psychiatric Conditions
- Associations Between Maternal Depression, Support, and Cognitive Development in Offspring
- Alteplase Good for Ischemic Stroke With Unknown Onset Time
- Aerobic and Strength Exercise Doesn't Slow Cognitive Decline