Autism Spectrum Disorder
Although the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder is known to be more common among males than among females in the general population, information on sex-specific recurrence patterns is lacking.
Lower odds of ASD with intellectual disability were seen in the maternal multivitamin use group with or without additional iron or folic acid.
The treatment was effective in patients with autism with or without comorbid ADHD or neurogenetic disorders.
Investigators have developed guidelines to follow for the use of art therapy in children with autism spectrum disorder.
Antidepressant use before conception was associated with a higher risk of autism spectrum disorders compared with antidepressant use during pregnancy.
All of the studies were small, including anywhere from 12 to 92 children, and they typically lasted less than 6 months.
Infants at risk for autism do better if therapists train parents to communicate more effectively.
The FDA has warned and/or taken action against a number of companies that have made improper claims about the intended use of their products to treat or cure autism.
Despite increased awareness, barriers to earlier diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder still persist.
An open-label study examined the effects of fecal microbiota transfer on symptoms of autism.
Infection with the flu or receiving the flu vaccine during pregnancy was not linked to autism in offspring.
A diagnosis of autism is associated with a doubled risk for a variety of substance use-related problems including drug and alcohol use disorders.
Although PCB chemicals were banned int he 1970s, they still linger in the environment.
Administration of the M-CHAT/F can be done by minimally trained PCPs.
The rate of autism diagnosis was 11.3% for those with an older sibling with autism, and .92% for those without.
Children with autism had a hearing deficit within a specific frequency.
The results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
Ziprasidone and quetiapine were not associated with an increase in BMI.
The authors suggest that it's "perhaps not a fair direct comparison" to note that the CDC&P estimate of community prevalence for ASD is 15 per 1000 children.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future ASD in patients with epilepsy
Researchers will now have to explore the optimal dose for the supplements.
Treatment with risperidone over a 6 month period was associated with an average weight gain of 5.4±3.4kg.
Children with autism are known to have increased rates of epilepsy; however, many prior studies aimed to quantify these rates are small.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Intranasal Sumatriptan More Effectively Reduces Migraine-Associated Nausea
- Neuropsychiatric Conditions Common in Relatives of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- FDA Approves Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size