Risks of adverse cardiovascular-related outcomes or mortality are not reduced with CPAP treatment.
Clinicians should make patients aware of their increased risk for stroke and heart attack.
Men who received testosterone replacement therapy had lower odds of cardiovascular events.
Previous research has suggested that statins and PCSK9 inhibitors may adversely affect cognition.
Standardized definitions were proposed for stroke, hypoxic-ischemic injury, and cerebral hemorrhage.
Early intervention in patients with heart failure or atrial fibrillation may help delay or prevent the onset of mild dementia.
Patients receiving treatment with vitamin K antagonists (VKA) or antiplatelet agents face a significantly increased risk of mortality within 24 hours of intracranial hemorrhage.
A significant inverse trend was observed between the Healthy Nordic Food Index and risk of stroke.
Patients with elevated levels of activity in the amygdala were at higher risk for cardiovascular events.
Patients who received ACE inhibitors showed a slower progression of myocardial fibrosis and fewer cardiovascular events.
Patients experienced a 34% risk of a reduction in the ability to perform daily tasks independently.
Amyloid beta protein accumulation was present in the hearts of patients with Alzheimer's disease.
Half of patients experienced a reduction in seizure frequency after statin initiation.
Women with a history of migraine headache had a more than 2-fold increased risk of stroke over a 6-year follow-up period.
Those with previous cognitive impairment saw a more pronounced improvement.
Patients with Alzheimer's disease tended to have increased thickness in the wall of their left ventricle.
The effect of antihypertensive drugs and stains on cognition is uncertain.
Long episodes of AT/AF were more likely to be associated with clinical events than short episodes.
A committee from the American Heart Association failed to make specific clinical recommendations for the management of hypertension related to cognitive impairment.
Vascular disease can have a negative impact on cognition and motor phenotype in PD.
At baseline, 83% of the patients had established cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, or both.
In subjects with a low risk of preclinical Alzheimer's disease indexed by the absence of MTA, findings were confirmed.
The researchers noted that CPAP users may not be using the device long enough to see benefits for their cardiovascular health.
Studies have linked GCA with increased risk of VTE; however, results have been compromised by limited data sets.
Doctors should be monitoring for high blood pressure and cholesterol in this patient population.
Both lesion count and volume was less in the treatment group vs controls.
All but one type of statin was associated with a dose-dependent neurprotective benefit against Parkinson's.
Cases of all-cause dementia and Alzheimer's did not significantly differ between study groups.
There was no difference in risk of stroke or mortality between hypertensive groups.
Higher LDL-C variability was associated with lower cognitive test scores, including immediate and delayed recall.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines