Across the entire cohort, the predominant motor types featured were 70% spastic, 22% dyskinetic (21% dystonic and 1% choreoathetotic), 6% hypotonic, and 2% ataxic.
Scoliosis surgery in patients with cerebral palsy leads to a significant improvement in health-related quality of life.
In young children with cerebral palsy, infusion of autologous umbilical cord blood improves whole brain connectivity and motor function.
Significant improvements in muscle tone, spasticity, goal attainment, and overall clinical benefit were observed across all injection cycles.
While their are other factors more strongly associated with risk of cerebral palsy, maternal obesity is modifiable and therefore should be studied further.
The drug is the first botulinum toxin indicated for the treatment of lower limb spasticity in pediatric patients.
Causes other than asphyxia account for most cases of cerebral palsy in near-term infants.
Reduced brain connectivity puts preterm infants at a greater risk of developing neurodevelopmental disorders.
Compared with penicillin, macrolides taken during pregnancy increase the child's risk of developing cerebral palsy or epilepsy.
Researchers say 14% of cerebral palsy cases are likely to be caused by a genetic mutation.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- OCD in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Features Distinct Phenotype, Associated Symptoms
- History of Migraine Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Patent Foramen Ovale Closure for Stroke Prevention: Key Principles for Clinical Practice
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: Weighing the Risks and Benefits
- A Model for Predicting Quality of Life Improvements After Deep Brain Stimulation
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- First-in-Class Therapy Approved for Polyneuropathy Caused by hATTR
- High Anxiety Symptoms Prevalent in Epilepsy, Mesial Temporal Sclerosis
- Advance Care Planning Doesn't Aid Quality of Life
- Variation in Specialty Drug Coverage Across Health Plans
- Alcohol Exposure Via Breastmilk May Affect Infant Development