For adolescents with chronic pain, a combination of different therapies such as CBT and breathing exercises may be beneficial.
A probable diagnosis of fibromyalgia can be indicated with 2 simple tests in chronic pain patients.
The Intellis platform has been announced as a way to manage certain types of chronic pain.
Posttraumatic stress disorder is associated with a high incidence of chronic pain; what role headache plays in that relationship is not well known.
The VA and DoD issue a clinical practice guideline regarding opioid therapy for chronic pain in veterans.
Patients with successful spinal cord stimulation implants had significantly reduced opioid use 1 year post-implant.
After treatment, there were marked decreases in visual analog scale (VAS)-pain, VAS-asthenia, severity of waking unrefreshed, tender point count, and Beck Depression Inventory.
Kratom may be used to develop nonaddictive alternatives to opioids.
Alternative treatments include endomorphins, spinal cord stimulation, and psychotherapy.
Novice prescribers cited insufficient access to substance abuse counseling for patients, as well as insufficient access to more experienced prescribers, as reasons for not treating more patients.
Pain treatments often target either the brain or body, but data show that treatments often benefit both.
A patient with a baseline pain score of 60 on a scale of 0 to 100 would be expected to have a pain score of 45 after a non-acupuncture intervention; 35 after a sham acupuncture intervention; and 30 after true acupuncture.
Opioid usage may exacerbate the problem.
Sleep disruption alters positive affective pain modulation.
The study included 1,750 participants and had a 3-year follow up period.
Twenty-five percent of doctors write month-long opioid prescriptions.
The new guideline is the latest in an overhaul designed to curb opioid abuse.
Disordered sleep has been implicated in the impairment of descending inhibitory pain pathways that may contribute to abnormal pain sensitization present in fibromyalgia.
Some concerns include a lack of evidence underlying recommendations.
While mindfulness meditation has previously been associated with pain relief, the mechanistic action behind this has been unclear.
The new guidelines come in the wake of an opioid overdose epidemic in the U.S.
At 4 and 8 weeks after injection, 55% and 45%, respectively, reported pain relief of 20% or greater.
There were 18 893 deaths involving prescription opioids in the US in 2014.
While opioids can help patients have more comfort, they do nothing for the improvement of their chronic pain.
Long duration of opioid use associated with new onset depression.
More than 90% of patients with chronic pain continue to receive prescription opioids even after an overdose.
Investigators found that the intensity of neuropathic pain in those with SCI was negatively correlated with motor cortical remapping.
Comorbid disease types appear to elevate dysfunction in the brain.
Researchers have developed small, fully implantable devices that may one day be used to block pain signals before they reach the brain.
Musculoskeletal pain, especially in the shoulder/arm and leg, is significantly associated with RLS.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Intranasal Sumatriptan More Effectively Reduces Migraine-Associated Nausea
- Neuropsychiatric Conditions Common in Relatives of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- FDA Approves Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size