Many published news articles included details of the MoCA in association with President Trump, some of which invited readers to self-administer the test.
Older adults' worsening vision may drive declines in cognitive function.
More than 11% of adults aged ≥45 years in the United States report subjective cognitive decline.
Food insecurity may be linked to behavioral problems and poorer cognitive performance in children.
For individuals without neurodegenerative disease, a thinner retinal nerve fiber layer is associated with worse cognitive function.
Both patients with type 1 and patients with type 2 diabetes show overall worse cognition than people without diabetes.
For older adults, exercise is associated with improved cognition.
Higher serum HDL-C is associated with better executive function among older patients with diabetes mellitus.
An aerobic and strength exercise program does not slow cognitive impairment among people with mild-to-moderate dementia.
Nonlanguage Mathematical, Visuospatial Learning Disabilities Likely in Focal Neurodegenerative SyndromesMay 10, 2018
Individual patients with PCA and LDs demonstrated more right-lateralized patterns of atrophy and greater preservation of global cognition compared with patients with PCA without LDs.
Handgrip strength was significantly associated with improved visual memory reaction time, prospective memory, and reasoning in patients with bipolar disorder.
Lundbeck announced that the FDA has approved a sNDA for Trintellix to include data regarding improved processing speed.
Medicare Annual Wellness Visits do not appear to substantially increase the detection of cognitive impairment in older adults.
For adolescents and young adults, frequent or heavy cannabis use has a small association with reduced cognitive functioning.
Using hearing aids may slow cognitive decline in later life.
The MIND diet, a combination of the Mediterranean and DASH diets, was associated with a slower rate of cognitive decline among stroke survivors.
For older patients, toenail length can provide important insight into a patient's functional status.
The ultimate goal of stroke assessment is to enable physicians to make treatment decisions that are individualized and appropriate to the patient's needs, thereby improving patient outcomes.
Retinopathy as well as an overall loss of vascular integrity was significantly associated with a greater 20-year cognitive decline after controlling for attrition.
3 years after menopausal HT, change in brain volumes were not significantly different from placebo.
For older adults with high cholesterol, the risk for cognitive decline is reduced.
For community-dwelling older men, low serum sodium is associated with cognitive impairment and cognitive decline.
Solanezumab does not alter cognitive decline in patients with mild Alzheimer disease.
In older at-risk individuals, even APOE ε4 carriers, a multidomain lifestyle intervention seems to be beneficial.
Cognitive therapies may help reduce falls in order adults.
For patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer disease, the use of idalopirdine does not improve cognition.
Guidelines: AAN Recommends Exercise, Cautious Prescribing for Patients With Mild Cognitive ImpairmentJanuary 15, 2018
A lower education level was associated with higher MCI prevalence in 8 of the class I studies.
Greater yearly declines in systolic and diastolic blood pressure were noted in individuals with subcortical microinfarcts.
Clinicians might benefit from standard guidelines on how to assess and refer patients with hearing loss.
Intake of nutrients in green leafy vegetables is linked to a slower cognitive decline.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd