Cognitive fatigue and anxiety are common symptoms reported by patients with multiple sclerosis.
Chronic use of low-dose aspirin was not associated with onset of dementia or cognitive impairment, but was also not associated with significantly better global cognition.
Patients with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and psychotic bipolar disorder were examined for anticholinergic burden.
Participants with the Met allele lost memory and cognitive skills more rapidly than those without the gene mutation.
Patients with subclinical hypothyroidism scored worse on tests of processing speed than patients with normal thyroid function.
Previous research has suggested that statins and PCSK9 inhibitors may adversely affect cognition.
In a review, researchers found that elevated levels of albuminuria were linked to worse global cognitive performance and accelerated cognitive decline.
Effectively treating pain may help improve cognitive and functional outcomes in patients with depression.
No correlation was found for cognitive function with changes in weight or fitness.
Patients with dysglycemia have more brain infarcts and white matter hyperintensities and a lower total white matter volume.
Those with previous cognitive impairment saw a more pronounced improvement.
About one-fifth of responders to 9/11 developed PTSD.
There has been a lack of research on the association between anxiety and dementia.
The authors acknowledged that the study was limited and plan to follow the group through 4 years of treatment.
No effect seen at 6 or 10+ years after menopause onset.
Researchers found no link between anthracyclines and cognitive function in cancer survivors.
Independent predictors of dementia have been identified that may potentially improve diagnosis and treatment.
Women who had high blood pressure while pregnant demonstrated later cognitive impairment and smaller brain volume compared with women who had normotensive pregnancies.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Vitamin D Deficiency Affects Cognition in Multiple Sclerosis
- Telestroke Treatment With IV tPA: How Long Is the Window of Opportunity?
- Hypothalamus May Play a Central Role in Chronic Migraine
- Migraine Attacks Associated With Reduced Dopamine Levels
- Polypharmacy in Schizophrenia May Have Adverse Effect on Cognition
- In MS, Disease Duration, Lesion Load Predict Relapses and Disability Progression
- Ocrelizumab May Improve Cognitive Function in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Teriflunomide for MS Associated With Low Rates of Infection, Lymphopenia
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 5/25/17
- In Multiple Sclerosis, Hand Strength May Indicate Disease Status