The finding isn't overly surprising since the types of brain abnormalities seen in Zika-affected newborns have been linked to seizures and epilepsy in the past.
Epileptic phenomena are an important component of the dysfunction of the neuronal networks affected by Alzheimer's disease.
Results from 2 phase 3 clinical trials demonstrated efficacy of adjunctive cannabidiol for the treatment of drop seizures in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
A newly published guideline shines light on sudden unexpected death in epilepsy and how clinicians can help prevent it.
Sepsis is associated with pathways that lead to permanent neurological sequelae.
Women with higher body mass index were associated with children with a greater epilepsy incidence.
Underlying pathophysiological mechanisms may connect depression and epilepsy.
Lamotrigine and carbamazepine may represent safer treatment alternatives for girls and women who are or who might become pregnant.
In patients with lorazepam-resistant status epilepticus, treatment with lacosamide had comparable efficacy and safety as sodium valproate.
Sunovion has filed a supplemental NDA with the FDA to expand the indication for Aptiom to pediatric patients with partial onset seizures.
In people with Dravet syndrome, language impairments increase with age, suggesting that early intervention with targeted oral motor therapies may be helpful.
Elderly patients with neurologic comorbidities such as stroke or dementia had an increased risk for epilepsy or seizures.
There is as much as a 32% risk for vigabatrin-associated brain abnormalities in patients with infantile spasms.
Patients taking enzyme-inducing antiepileptic drugs and hormonal contraceptives face a greater risk of unintended pregnancy.
Participants reported improved adherence to a modified Atkins diet compared with the popular but restrictive ketogenic diet.
This study identified a feature of the epileptic brain that evolves slowly and differs fundamentally in well-controlled and poorly controlled epilepsy.
A subset of epilepsy cases of unknown etiology may be secondary to the production of autoantibodies.
Despite recommendations, many patients in the cohort were prescribed older antiepileptic drugs.
Patients who participated in a group course with other people with epilepsy felt less isolated and more confident.
A diagnosis of maternal epilepsy alone was not associated with an increase in congenital malformations in offspring.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Vitamin D Deficiency Affects Cognition in Multiple Sclerosis
- Telestroke Treatment With IV tPA: How Long Is the Window of Opportunity?
- Hypothalamus May Play a Central Role in Chronic Migraine
- Migraine Attacks Associated With Reduced Dopamine Levels
- Polypharmacy in Schizophrenia May Have Adverse Effect on Cognition
- In MS, Disease Duration, Lesion Load Predict Relapses and Disability Progression
- Ocrelizumab May Improve Cognitive Function in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Teriflunomide for MS Associated With Low Rates of Infection, Lymphopenia
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 5/25/17
- In Multiple Sclerosis, Hand Strength May Indicate Disease Status