The International League Against Epilepsy has revised its epilepsy classification system in an effort to inform epilepsy research and aid drug development.
The finding isn't overly surprising since the types of brain abnormalities seen in Zika-affected newborns have been linked to seizures and epilepsy in the past.
Women with higher body mass index were associated with children with a greater epilepsy incidence.
Underlying pathophysiological mechanisms may connect depression and epilepsy.
Lamotrigine and carbamazepine may represent safer treatment alternatives for girls and women who are or who might become pregnant.
In patients with lorazepam-resistant status epilepticus, treatment with lacosamide had comparable efficacy and safety as sodium valproate.
Sunovion has filed a supplemental NDA with the FDA to expand the indication for Aptiom to pediatric patients with partial onset seizures.
In people with Dravet syndrome, language impairments increase with age, suggesting that early intervention with targeted oral motor therapies may be helpful.
Elderly patients with neurologic comorbidities such as stroke or dementia had an increased risk for epilepsy or seizures.
There is as much as a 32% risk for vigabatrin-associated brain abnormalities in patients with infantile spasms.
Patients taking enzyme-inducing antiepileptic drugs and hormonal contraceptives face a greater risk of unintended pregnancy.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Serum Cytokine Levels May Correlate With Cognitive Dysfunction in Alzheimer's Disease
- Migraine-Associated Stroke Not Linked to Atherosclerosis
- Ptosis Repair Effective for Reducing Tension-Type Headache
- Intracranial Hemorrhage Associated with Arteriovenous Malformations Linked to Better Outcomes
- MRI-Guided Focused Ultrasound More Cost Effective Treatment for Essential Tremor
- In MS, Disease Duration, Lesion Load Predict Relapses and Disability Progression
- Stroke and Dementia Associated with Artificially-Sweetened Drinks?
- Case Report: DBS for the Treatment of Dystonia in Huntington's
- Treating Movement Disorders With Telemedicine: Getting Started
- Poor Quality of Sleep, Quality of Life in Patients With Lupus