DFN-11, a 3 mg subcutaneous sumatriptan autoinjector, may provide an alternative to SC sumatriptan 6 mg for individuals with episodic migraine.
GammaCore Sapphire, a new non-invasive hand-held device for migraine and episodic cluster headache treatment, has been made available by electroCore.
For patients with episodic migraine, galcanezumab is better than placebo for reducing migraine headache days.
Fremanezumab slightly decreased the amount of headache free days in those with episodic migraines compared to placebo.
Individuals with chronic vs episodic migraine may be more likely to experience chronic back pain, chronic pain, neck pain, anxiety, and depression.
For individuals with migraine frequency of 4 to 14 episodes per month, prophylactic medications and analgesics are required.
Both erenumab and fremanezumab are currently under review by the FDA for the treatment of migraine.
Clinicians need to consider treatments for episodic migraine that may be contraindicated if a patient also has cardiovascular disease.
Future predictive models may need to include other migraine risk factors to enhance predictive accuracy.
Treatment with the monoclonal antibody erenumab reduced the number of monthly migraine days experienced in patients with episodic migraine.
Over 50% of participants reported having an inadequate response to treatment.
Phase 2 results show anti-CGRP receptor monoclonal antibody effective for the prevention of episodic migraine.
Treatment that provides rapid, consistent migraine relief may help mediate factors that promote inadequate treatment response.
Adults taking the drug combo experienced a decreased amount of migraine days compared to placebo.
A simple lipid panel may distinguish those with episodic migraine.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Addressing Levodopa-Resistant Parkinson Disease
- High Daily Stress Linked to Migraine Prevalence in Women
- Researchers Identify Coffee Component That May Provide Neuroprotection
- Functional Imaging in Movement Disorders: Diagnostic Advantages
- Dextroamphetamine Plus Physical Therapy Nonsuperior to Placebo for Improving Post-Stroke Motor Recovery
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy