GammaCore Sapphire, a new non-invasive hand-held device for migraine and episodic cluster headache treatment, has been made available by electroCore.
For patients with episodic migraine, galcanezumab is better than placebo for reducing migraine headache days.
Fremanezumab slightly decreased the amount of headache free days in those with episodic migraines compared to placebo.
Individuals with chronic vs episodic migraine may be more likely to experience chronic back pain, chronic pain, neck pain, anxiety, and depression.
For individuals with migraine frequency of 4 to 14 episodes per month, prophylactic medications and analgesics are required.
Both erenumab and fremanezumab are currently under review by the FDA for the treatment of migraine.
Clinicians need to consider treatments for episodic migraine that may be contraindicated if a patient also has cardiovascular disease.
Future predictive models may need to include other migraine risk factors to enhance predictive accuracy.
Treatment with the monoclonal antibody erenumab reduced the number of monthly migraine days experienced in patients with episodic migraine.
Over 50% of participants reported having an inadequate response to treatment.
Phase 2 results show anti-CGRP receptor monoclonal antibody effective for the prevention of episodic migraine.
Treatment that provides rapid, consistent migraine relief may help mediate factors that promote inadequate treatment response.
Adults taking the drug combo experienced a decreased amount of migraine days compared to placebo.
A simple lipid panel may distinguish those with episodic migraine.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd