Diagnosis of TB meningitis is challenging, although new, next-generation rapid POC testing holds promise for greatly improved sensitivity.
Abnormalities on neurologic examination were found several years after patients were infected with West Nile virus.
There was a linear link between white matter hyperintensity volume and RA pressure in chronic valvular heart disease.
Infection with the Zika virus may increase the risk for development of Guillain-Barré syndrome.
Withholding negative research results not only skews scientific evidence but also puts into question the whole validity of medical research.
The findings may help to better characterize normative development and altered patterns of brain activity that may serve as biomarkers for neurological conditions.
Although some patients will recover completely after corticosteroid therapy, some will experience multiple relapses and develop related severe functional impairments.
Adolescents seem to be unaware that Adderall is an amphetamine, therefore they underrort their nonmedical amphetamine use.
Most physicians in Flint were not trained in advocacy or leadership and had not received formal environmental health training.
Ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes are a common complication of infective endocarditis, but guidance on intervention is varied.
The American Heart and American Stroke Associations have developed an outline focused on the impact of cognitive impairment on public health, and the maintenance and definition of optimal brain health.
Serum tau is a promising novel biomarker for prediction of neurological outcome in patients with cardiac arrest.
Findings from animal studies indicate that anesthetics may be neurotoxic and could result in long-term central nervous system alterations and cognitive dysfunction.
Due to physician licensing, physicians may not be seeking treatment for mental health issues.
Patients with severe neurotoxicity have evidence of endothelial activation.
There is an increased prevalence of tinnitus in patients undergoing medial temporal lobe surgery.
The presence of vocal fold motion asymmetry may be used to make more informed clinical decisions for treatment.
The test is not designed to diagnose an individual's infection, however.
Researchers from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School investigated the duration of anesthesia and the risk of post operative complications associated.
Nocebo hyperalgesia was stronger when the treatment was labeled as an expensive medication versus a cheap medication
Somatic genome editing for prevention of serious disease is supported by scientists and clinical researchers.
The increased incidence of microcephaly was caused by a single mutation in the Zika virus.
Patients with sepsis included in this analysis may have presented with other CNS pathologies that could have contributed to seizure risk.
Neurostimulation through percutaneous electrical nerve field stimulation was shown to durably reduce pain in children.
The clinical spectrum and optimal treatment approach for PD-1-related neurological complications is not clear.
Rates of neurologic complications increased in the months after the Zika virus outbreak in Brazil.
Findings from this trial challenge current recommended systolic blood pressure targets for older adults.
There is no association between use of cardiovascular medication and cognitive impairment in older adults.
Further research in a larger cohort may be required to detect any changes in treatment effect in this patient group.
The Zika virus thrives in pregnant women because of their already dampened immune system.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Some Antiepileptic Drugs Associated With Increased Risk for Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- Cognitive Impairment in Multi-System Atrophy: Is It Time to Update Diagnostic Criteria?
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size