Rates of neurologic complications increased in the months after the Zika virus outbreak in Brazil.
Findings from this trial challenge current recommended systolic blood pressure targets for older adults.
There is no association between use of cardiovascular medication and cognitive impairment in older adults.
Further research in a larger cohort may be required to detect any changes in treatment effect in this patient group.
The Zika virus thrives in pregnant women because of their already dampened immune system.
De novo KCNB1 missense and loss-of-function variants are associated with neurodevelopmental disorders.
Many studies that support the FDA's approval of medical device modifications are not controlled.
A swallowing exercise program may help long term head and neck cancer survivors with chronic dysphagia.
Video games affect the hippocampus based on the navigation strategy employed.
Carriers of a deletion or duplication at 16p11.2 have neuroanatomic abnormalities that are associated with cognitive and behavioral impairment.
Ketamine was found to alleviate a number of pain-related conditions, and a number of clinical trials investigating its efficacy are ongoing.
The changes in price of generic drugs is being influenced by market competition levels.
WHO has updated its Essential Medicines List to include new recommendations for which drugs should be used in common infections and serious conditions.
GlaxoSmithKline has recalled its Menveo vaccine.
Guided self-help exercise programs could help patients with chronic fatigue syndrome.
Whole-genome sequencing reveals that some people are at risk for rare genetic diseases, however, the implications are still unknown.
The FDA will give priority reviews to new generic drugs until there are at least 3 on the market.
Putative pathogensis insights have grown tremendously in the past 10 years.
Two experiments show presence of devices is associated with reduction in cognitive capacity
Colleagues analyzed results of tissue testing for pregnancy-related Zika infection in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.
Researchers found inflammation 32% higher in 6 brain regions that play a role in OCD.
The most serious adverse events were caused by medication errors, falls, or delayed or inappropriate intervention.
Race/ethnicity and poverty are more pronounced as risk factors for DAMA in elderly inpatients.
Surveillance also spotted an increase in mosquitoes that transmit dengue virus and chikungunya virus.
The researchers found that global mean cortical thickness was lower in the overweight/obese T2DM group.
Zika-related birth defects might occur following Zika infection during any trimester of pregnancy.
Without access to outpatient care, individuals may face much higher medical costs.
The FDA has issued a warning regarding the accuracy of lead tests manufactured by Magellan Diagnostics.
For survivors of nontraumatic cardiac arrest, brain injury becomes a major factor in disability and long-term survival.
In addition to brain imaging, patients underwent cognitive tests to assess memory, executive function, and psychomotor speed.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines