Researchers found that high doses of the novel antisense oligonucleotide were associated with lower concentrations of mutant huntingtin protein in the cerebrospinal fluid and brain.
Interventions aimed at motor and cognitive impairments in Huntington disease may result in long-term functional improvement.
Research has shown significant gaps in knowledge on palliative services among neurology residents, resulting in low referral rates.
Investigators examined blood plasma samples taken annually from a cohort of 201 huntingtin gene (HTT) carriers.
Early onset of motor symptoms related to substance abuse appeared to significantly affect women compared with men.
Deutetrabenazine is only the second drug approved for patients with Huntington's disease.
The study supports the need for clinicians to initiate genetic counseling in patients who show clinical signs of HD.
The drug has a similar mechanism of action as tetrabenazine, but a different pharmacokinetic profile.
The HD-associated CAG repeat with 36 or more repeats was found in 18 individuals.
A new drug that inhibits the production of HTT mRNA may help slow progression of Huntington's disease.
The FDA has granted Orphan Drug designation to IONIS-HTT (Ionis) for the treatment of Huntington's disease.
Addressing proteasome dysfunction may help prevent accumulation of the toxic protein.
The FDA has accepted an application for SD-809 (deutetrabenazine) for the treatment of chorea associated with Huntington's disease.
With no control group, researchers also considered that the positive response was a placebo effect.
Patients with bvFTD are more likely to exhibit criminal behavior like theft and public urination.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- OCD in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Features Distinct Phenotype, Associated Symptoms
- History of Migraine Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Patent Foramen Ovale Closure for Stroke Prevention: Key Principles for Clinical Practice
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: Weighing the Risks and Benefits
- A Model for Predicting Quality of Life Improvements After Deep Brain Stimulation
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- First-in-Class Therapy Approved for Polyneuropathy Caused by hATTR
- High Anxiety Symptoms Prevalent in Epilepsy, Mesial Temporal Sclerosis
- Advance Care Planning Doesn't Aid Quality of Life
- Variation in Specialty Drug Coverage Across Health Plans
- Alcohol Exposure Via Breastmilk May Affect Infant Development