A doctor who prescribed a particular insomnia medication in the past was 3 times as likely to continue prescribing the same drug
Acupressure may help significantly improve sleep quality index scores in the elderly.
Interventions with clinical massage or guided imagery may help ease pain and anxiety in patients in a progressive care unit.
A marked improvement in daytime sleepiness was observed in patients who underwent surgical weight loss procedures.
Women who were pregnant and slept for less than 6 hours per night or had poor sleep quality had a greater risk of developing gestational diabetes.
Over 56% of SHUTi patients were still in full remission at 1-year follow-up.
The study supports previous findings of hyperarousal of the inflammatory system as a mechanism of insulin resistance.
Overall, 26 of the 34 studies suggested a positive relationship between insomnia and depression.
Reduced REM sleep was correlated with a 23% increased risk of atrial fibrillation, while insomnia was associated with a 29% increased risk.
Women who experienced surgical menopause were more likely to suffer worse insomnia symptoms after 10 years of follow-up.
Opioid usage may exacerbate the problem.
Vehicle drivers and machine operators should be warned that there may be a possible risk of adverse reactions the morning after taking the medication.
Some patients who are approaching seizure control can achieve improvement or seizure freedom by addressing sleep issues.
The telephone-based treatment would allow for broader patient utilization.
Sleep disruption alters positive affective pain modulation.
Drugs should only be considered in insomnia if CBT is not successful.
Primary insomnia patients have lower FA values in regions in the right brain.
Despite a greater sleep drive, patients with fibromyalgia struggle to stay asleep.
Researchers identify connection between disordered sleep, cardiovascular health, and subcortical infarcts in older adults.
Comorbid disease types appear to elevate dysfunction in the brain.
Children with an elevated blood lead level were more likely to struggle with insomnia and daytime sleepiness.
Poorer sleep continuity was noted for intermittent dosing with 10 mg zolpidem.
The results are in contrast to current "low and slow" treatment strategies for insomnia.
The link is dose dependent, with risk increasing with less sleep duration.
Patients with psychiatric disorders who received CBT for insomnia saw symptom of both conditions improve.
Daytime sleepiness is common in older adults as quality and quantity of sleep changes with age.
Temazepam posed the lowest risk compared to other medications including Ambien.
Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) may indirectly improve fibromyalgia symptoms by improving sleep.
Cognitive behavioral therapy helped participants fall asleep 20 minutes sooner and sleep 30 minutes longer.
Patients with fibromyalgia had poorer health status, function, sleep, and faced higher costs.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines