BUN and/or Creatinine Increased: Intrarenal Cause
Congenital kidney anomalies
Diseases of the kidney associated with a cystic mass
Diseases of the kidney associated with a solid mass
Diseases without a mass primarily manifested as glomerular defects
Diseases without a mass in which there is primarily tubular or interstitial (tubulointerstitial) disease
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
For diseases associated with no mass that are glomerular or tubular, urinalysis is informative.
Glomerular disease is suggested by a high amount of urinary protein (including albumin) and red blood cell (RBC) casts with or without loose RBCs.
Tubular disease is suggested by a moderate degree of urinary protein that is primarily not albumin or other relatively high-molecular-weight proteins.
Granular or white blood cell (WBC) casts or loose WBCs in the urine are often associated with infection.
Because tubular dysfunction can be caused by infections and exposure to drugs, tests for infectious diseases and drug levels can be important.
Renal stones of different composition and multiple myeloma may produce tubular disease.
Tests for renal stones and multiple myeloma involve urinalysis and blood testing.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Guidelines: AAN Recommends Exercise, Cautious Prescribing for Patients With Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Galcanezumab Significantly Reduces Migraine Headaches vs Placebo
- Noninvasive Vagus Nerve Stimulation Effective for Episodic Cluster Headaches
- Guidelines: Opioids for the Treatment of Refractory Restless Legs Syndrome
- Migraine Risk Significantly Reduced With Investigational Drug
- Treating Levetiracetam-Induced Behavioral Effects With Vitamin B6
- Apixaban Not Superior to Warfarin for Reducing Stroke Risk in Atrial Fibrillation
- Electrostimulation Plus Task Training Improves Upper Limb Function After Stroke
- Stroke Neurocognitive Outcomes Improved With Gingko Biloba Extract
- Subcortical Microinfarcts Associated With Decreased Blood Pressure in Elderly