Splenomegaly with platelet sequestration
Increased platelet destruction by an immune mechanism; can occur as a result of:
Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT)
Idiopathic or immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP)
Drug (other than heparin)-induced thrombocytopenia
Post-transfusion purpura (PTP)
Increased platelet destruction by non-immune mechanisms, as caused by:
Hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS)
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP)
Decreased platelet production most often occurs after exposure to drugs (e.g., chemotherapeutic agents) that suppress synthesis of new platelets or by infiltration of the marrow by tumor or other structures.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Platelet count establishes presence or absence of thrombocytopenia; 100,000 functional platelets/µL is usually considered adequate for any challenge to hemostasis.
Workup for DIC:
D-dimer or FDP
Peripheral blood smear to check for schistocytes
Test for HIT:
Most often available is ELISA for antibody to platelet factor 4/heparin complex
ITP is a diagnosis of exclusion.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Next Article in LabMed
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- Thrombolysis With Tenecteplase Is as Safe as Alteplase in Stroke Mimics
- Smoking Promotes Disease Progression in Multiple Sclerosis
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- ZTlido Patch for Post-Shingles Pain Launching Soon
- Managing Complications of Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy
- Deep Brain Stimulation Reduces Tremor Symptoms in Parkinson Disease
- FDA Issues Statement Addressing Safety Concerns Associated With Nuplazid
- Prevalence of Autoimmune Encephalitis in Herpes Simplex Encephalitis Explored