Lewy Body Dementia
Several prodromal symptoms in REM sleep behavior disorder are highly associated with conversion to neurodegenerative diseases.
Zonisamide as an adjunct to levodopa therapy improves parkinsonism in patients with dementia with Lewy bodies.
While parkinsonian disorders share a common mechanism of protein aggregation, manifestations are quite varied.
Patients with multiple system atrophy with parkinsonism face the greatest risk for death among synucleinopathies.
Increasing severity of AD pathology inversely correlated to decreases in time from motor symptoms to dementia onset and death.
Patients with mild cognitive impairment with preserved hippocampal volume are at increased risk for dementia with Lewy bodies vs Alzheimer disease.
According to a 2010 report based on a survey of caregivers of people with DLB, 78% of cases were initially misdiagnosed.
OCT can precisely measure changes to the retinal structure.
Over 60% of people with Parkinson's disease will have REM sleep behavior disorder, endangering them and their partners during the night.
Monoclonal antibodies targeting tau and beta amyloid in Alzheimer's disease may also benefit other neurodegenerative diseases.
The results suggest that specific Alzheimer's therapies may need to be developed to address differences in pathology.
Williams' suicide emphasizes the importance of support for patients with Lewy Body Dementia and their families.
A coroner's report documenting the death of actor Robin Williams revealed that he had Lewy body dementia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Efficacy of Cladribine Tablets in Patients With Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Performance, Mood Deficits, White Matter Hyperintensities in Migraine
- Rituximab Effectively Reduces Disease Activity in Multiple Sclerosis
- Focal Brain Atrophy Predicts Cognitive Decline in Parkinson Disease After DBS
- Continued Anticoagulation in Resolved AFib May Help Reduce Stroke Risk
- Polyphenol-Rich Diet May Reduce Dementia Risk in Older Adults
- Visual Association Test, MMSE Highly Predictive of Dementia in Older Adults
- Medical Cannabis Shows Promise in Treating Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurologists Identify New Type of Vertigo
- Traumatic Brain Injury Without Loss of Consciousness Associated With Increased Dementia Risk
- Late-Onset Multiple Sclerosis Doubled in Women Over Last 60 Years
- High Uric Acid Levels Associated With Lower Fatigue, Less Cognitive Impairment in Early Parkinson's
- Exercise in MS: Personalized Approach for Improved Outcomes
- Hemiplegic Migraine Aura Alleviated by OnabotulinumtoxinA Injections
- Should Physicians Treat Family and Friends? Three Experts Weigh In