Lewy Body Dementia
While parkinsonian disorders share a common mechanism of protein aggregation, manifestations are quite varied.
Patients with multiple system atrophy with parkinsonism face the greatest risk for death among synucleinopathies.
Increasing severity of AD pathology inversely correlated to decreases in time from motor symptoms to dementia onset and death.
Patients with mild cognitive impairment with preserved hippocampal volume are at increased risk for dementia with Lewy bodies vs Alzheimer disease.
According to a 2010 report based on a survey of caregivers of people with DLB, 78% of cases were initially misdiagnosed.
OCT can precisely measure changes to the retinal structure.
Over 60% of people with Parkinson's disease will have REM sleep behavior disorder, endangering them and their partners during the night.
Monoclonal antibodies targeting tau and beta amyloid in Alzheimer's disease may also benefit other neurodegenerative diseases.
The results suggest that specific Alzheimer's therapies may need to be developed to address differences in pathology.
Williams' suicide emphasizes the importance of support for patients with Lewy Body Dementia and their families.
A coroner's report documenting the death of actor Robin Williams revealed that he had Lewy body dementia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Intranasal Sumatriptan More Effectively Reduces Migraine-Associated Nausea
- Neuropsychiatric Conditions Common in Relatives of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- FDA Approves Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size