Migraine And Headache
For patients with episodic migraine, fremanezumab is associated with a reduction in the mean number of monthly migraine days.
The episodic cluster headache trial included a total of 106 patients with an average of 17.5 cluster headache attacks per week at baseline.
Compared to placebo, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) were associated with a significantly higher risk of headache (risk ratio [RR] 1.06, 95% CI: 1.00 to 1.13; P =.045).
Allergan announced results from the second Phase 3 trial for their novel acute migraine treatment, ubrogepant.
Individuals with chronic vs episodic migraine may be more likely to experience chronic back pain, chronic pain, neck pain, anxiety, and depression.
Researchers conducted a randomized, double-blond, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging trial to assess the use of a new zolmitriptan intracutaneous delivery system in adults with migraine headache.
Researchers assessed the ability of erenumab to decrease the mean number of acute headache days in patients with episodic migraine.
Researchers deployed a survey to determine the extent of pain, psychiatric, endocrine, and neurologic comorbidities in patients with chronic or episodic migraine.
Eptinezumab, a humanized monoclonal antibody specific to calcitonin gene-related peptide, may be an effective prophylactic for individuals with frequent episodic migraines.
The authors note that this appears to be the first case of RCVS secondary to pepper or cayenne ingestion.
Single-pulse transcranial magnetic stimulation device is safe and easy to use.
DFN-02 was evaluated in a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study (N=107) which showed it was effective in treating pain and associated symptoms during a migraine attack and in reducing attack-related functional disability.
Sumavel DosePro for the treatment of migraine or cluster headache has been discontinued.
For individuals with migraine frequency of 4 to 14 episodes per month, prophylactic medications and analgesics are required.
Allergan has reported positive results from the first of 2 Phase 3 trials for ubrogepant for the treatment of migraine.
The FDA has granted GammaCore 510(k) expanded clearance to treat migraine related pain.
Amgen announced that erenumab met its primary endpoint in reducing monthly migraine days.
Prior physical or sexual abuse of survivors increased the likelihood of migraine or tension-type headache.
The PSEQ successfully shows the debility in migraine surgery patients, and puts migraine pain to perspective.
Patients were randomly assigned to receive eptinezumab (300mg or 100mg) or placebo once every 12 weeks.
For patients with chronic migraine, onabotulinumtoxinA was shown to have a better outcome.
In a case report, a 21 year old female's migraine was successfully treated with therapy specifically aimed at the herpes simplex virus.
Researchers report that a behavioral weight loss program may be effective in reducing migraine headaches as social support from a group of people facing similar circumstances may help patients cope.
The judicious use of caffeine as adjuvant therapy to over-the-counter pain relievers can improve or relieve pain for patients with migraine or tension-type headaches.
Women with migraine should avoid high-risk products such as combined oral HCs consisting of >35μg ethinylestradiol.
The FDA has accepted a BLA for the migraine prevention treatment, galcanezumab.
Over 25% of patients who end up in the emergency department for migraine typically require revisits for headache within 6 months.
The review suggests that magnesium is a safe, tolerable, and cost-effective treatment for migraine.
A systematic review aimed to validate whether stroke risk is increased in women taking estrogen-containing contraceptives who have a history of migraine.
Cefaly Acute and Cefaly Dual were approved for treating migraines.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Concussion Misdiagnosis Associated With Emergency Department Stay, Injury Type
- Vitamin D: The Only Dietary Supplement Showing Significant Benefit for MS
- Evolution of NEDA: Q&A With Cleveland Clinic's Dr Robert Bermel
- Micronutrient Levels May Be Altered in ADHD
- Multiple Sclerosis Guidelines: AAN's Recommendations for Initiating, Switching, Stopping Disease-Modifying Therapy
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Solriamfetol Associated With Improvement in Narcolepsy Types 1 and 2
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- Subclinical Hypothyroidism May Increase Migraine Development Risk
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Possible Risk of Neural Tube Birth Defects With Certain HIV Meds
- FDA: New Med Guide for Patients Receiving Gadolinium-Based Contrast Agents
- Alemtuzumab: An Effective Rescue Treatment for RRMS: An Effective Rescue Treatment for Relapsing-Remitting Multiple Sclerosis