Investigators identified a series of prodromal signs that appear anywhere from 1 to 18 years before a clinical diagnosis of SCA2.
Dopamine deficiency, decreases in cortical thickness and volume in certain areas of the brain was predictive of cognitive decline.
Patients in the treatment group had improved ON and OFF times and no worsening of motor function.
Investigators examined blood plasma samples taken annually from a cohort of 201 huntingtin gene (HTT) carriers.
Patients with multiple system atrophy with parkinsonism face the greatest risk for death among synucleinopathies.
However, there is a trend toward lower risk of Parkinson's for patients with truncal vagotomy.
MRI-guided focused ultrasound thalamotomy is more effective than deep brain stimulation and significantly cheaper.
Electroconvulsive therapy might be safe and reliable therapy for treatment of psychiatric symptoms in patients with Huntington Disease
Long-term valbenazine may be beneficial in managing tardive dyskinesia in schizophrenia.
Learn more about what to expect from this year's International Congress of Parkinson's Disease and Movement Disorders.
Joohi Jimenez-Shahed, MD, discusses her research on the use of deutetrabenazine for the treatment of tardive dyskinesia in patients taking concomitant antipsychotics or neuroleptics. Scroll below the video for the full transcript.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Growing Old Without Alzheimer's Pathology: What's the Secret?
- Minocycline May Slow Progression From Clinically Isolated Syndrome to Multiple Sclerosis
- Brain Inflammation Observed in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Extended-Release Amantadine Reduces Levodopa-Induced Dyskinesia in Parkinson's Disease
- Treating Post-Traumatic Headache After Concussion