Anesthetic medications have been identified as a potential cause of morbidity in this population due to their interaction with the drugs used to manage Parkinson disease.
A significant negative correlation was found between the individual Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale motor improvement and the Euclidean distance from the stimulation center to the deep brain stimulation "hotspot" when using the medial subthalamic nucleus border as an anatomical reference.
By 10 weeks, participants in the treatment group reported significant improvements in quality of life.
Utilizing 123I-FP-CIT SPECT imaging of raphe serotonergic nuclei and putamen dopaminergic terminals may help detect factors that influence response to dopaminergic treatment.
Although treatment with botulinum toxin is effective for pain and posturing associated with cervical dystonia, myoclonus and tremor remain difficult to treat and contribute to compromised quality of life for patients with this movement disorder.
Apomorphine sublingual film showed superior efficacy for on-demand treatment of OFF episodes in patients with Parkinson's.
The investigators excluded non-responders to MRgFUS, which may have produced an overestimate of the therapy's benefit in the remaining patients.
Deep brain stimulation is associated with symptomatic improvement for patients with Tourette syndrome.
The ParkinsonNet network was associated with reduced overall health care costs.
The neuroprotective effect of caffeine has previously been examined in epidemiologic studies.
Adamas announced that Gocovri extended-release capsules are now available for the treatment of dyskinesia in Parkinson's patients.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Updated Ischemic Stroke Guidelines: Expert Takeaways
- Alternative Genetic Risk Variant for Alzheimer Disease Identified
- Advance Directives for Dementia: Honoring Patient Wishes When You Don't Know What They Are
- Ethical Considerations in New Coma Research
- Poor Sleep Associated With Worse PTSD, Chronic Pain in Youth
- Comparing Reference Points for Deep Brain Stimulation Location in Parkinson Disease
- FDA Approves Clinical Decision Support Tool for Stroke
- US Will Produce Radioisotope for MRI, FDA Says
- Cognitive Decline in Men Linked to Low Serum Sodium
- Solanezumab Every 4 Weeks Does Not Significantly Affect Cognitive Decline in Alzheimer Disease