Tozadenant is being investigated as an adjunctive treatment to levodopa in Parkinson disease patients to reduce 'off' time.
There is a younger age at onset of Parkinson disease linked with the presence of LRRK2 risk variants.
Female sex, dependency, high pain scores, and lower Mini-Mental State Examination scores were correlated with higher depression scores.
Although evidence of cognitive impairment in MSA is admittedly more limited than in Parkinson disease, it is now substantial enough to address modification of diagnostic criteria to include the potential for cognitive impairment at any stage of the disease.
Sodium oxybate seems to be effective for patients with Parkinson disease and excessive daytime sleepiness.
The primary endpoint of the study is the change from baseline of the Yale Global Tic Severity Scale between placebo and active treatment groups at the end of week 12.
Deep brain stimulation is traditionally conducted with the patient awake in order to help the ideal target for electrode placement.
Smoking may modify a genetic link with Parkinson disease.
The diagnosis of Parkinson disease is made mostly through a clinical assessment of motor signs and symptoms, which appear when approximately 70% of nigral neurons are lost.
While parkinsonian disorders share a common mechanism of protein aggregation, manifestations are quite varied.
Significant improvements in muscle tone, spasticity, goal attainment, and overall clinical benefit were observed across all injection cycles.
Patients with dyskinesia had a significantly higher frequency of impulse control disorders.
The investigators suggested that the models should be recalibrated based on geographic location for more individualized predictions.
Research has shown significant gaps in knowledge on palliative services among neurology residents, resulting in low referral rates.
Cognitive dysfunction may be a sign of prodromal Parkinson disease.
Ingrezza is a vesicular monoamine transporter 2 inhibitor, now available in an 80mg capsule.
There is speculation that dystonia is the result of dysfunction occurring in either the cerebellum or basal ganglia or as a result of an abnormal interaction between the two.
Abnormal beta synchrony in the Parkinsonian basal ganglia is suppressed by bicycling.
The highest incidence rates of adverse effects in PD were linked with ropinirole, bromocriptine, and piribedil.
A poor sense of smell is linked with an increased risk for Parkinson's disease.
β-2 adrenergic agonists might be able to fight Parkinson's disease.
Alcohol improves cerebellar-learning deficit in patients with myoclonus-dystonia.
Patients with postural instability and gait disturbances had worse sleep scores than those with tremor-dominant Parkinson's.
MRI may be used to identify Parkinson disease biomarkers that can inform diagnosis, track disease progression, and elucidate the neurobiological underpinnings of symptoms.
Given the prevalence of depression in Parkinson's disease and the effectiveness of antidepressants, health care providers should promote adherence in clinical practice.
Enrollment of patients with only early Parkinson's disease in this trial prevents generalization of the study's findings across the entire Parkinson's population.
Patients with both Parkinson's and rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder were much more likely to experience mild cognitive impairment.
Patients taking levodopa therapy may experience neuropsychiatric fluctuations characterized by changes in mood, motivation, and anxiety while in ON and OFF states of drug therapy.
For patient's with Parkinson's disease, virtual house calls from neurologists may be of interest.
Incidence of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, akathisia, and parkinsonism was higher in the ID group.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Some Antiepileptic Drugs Associated With Increased Risk for Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- Cognitive Impairment in Multi-System Atrophy: Is It Time to Update Diagnostic Criteria?
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size