Investigators believe this is the largest study on the association between multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.
While a useful biomarker, sampling of serum NfL requires multiple lumbar spine punctures.
For patients with MS and CCSVI, precutaneous transluminal angioplasty seems to be safe but not effective.
Peripheral nerve involvement can be visualized and quantified by high-resolution MRN in MS patients.
Investigators strived to determine the association between multiple sclerosis and Epstein-Barr virus or cytomegalovirus infection in blacks and Hispanics.
Aubagio may cause delays in conversion to clinical definite MS by slowing the loss of cortical grey matter.
Patients experienced reduced disease activity when switched to alemtuzumab.
Patients with relapsing-remittingmultiple sclerosis with high titers of JCV antibodies and who were being treated with natalizumab for more than 2 years were enrolled in the study.
Data show superiority of OCREVUS compared to Rebif in reducing disability progression independent of relapse activity in people with RMS.
Celgene announced new Phase 3 data evaluating the safety and efficacy of ozanimod vs Avonex for RMS.
There are no FDA-approved MS therapies for the pediatric population.
As early treatment of multiple sclerosis is crucial, it is important to identify the factors that may delay diagnosis.
An emerging line of inquiry suggests a potential association between comorbidities and MS relapses, but studies have been limited.
Patients with multiple sclerosis who experience severe fatigue should be screened for obstructive sleep apnea.
In patients with multiple sclerosis, lesions in the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex may be associated with hypoalgesia, and lesions in the posterior periventricular area, with hyperalgesia.
Researchers believe that environmental factors may impact disease severity characteristics in genetically susceptible populations.
With its 20-minute application time, the BICAMS is one of the few tools available for small centers with only a few staff members who might not be trained in administering neuropsychological tests.
Viral load of Epstien-Barr virus and human herpesvirus 6 may be higher in patients with MS who also have low vitamin D levels.
Early treatment with cladribine in MS may help keep patients relapse-free with little to no progression in disability.
Plasma exchange and steroids should be used with caution in patients with PML.
Improving PML risk estimates is an important component of treatment with natalizumab for multiple sclerosis.
Central inflammatory mediators may be responsible for mood-related symptoms in patients with multiple sclerosis.
Increased fat intake is associated with a higher risk of relapse for children with multiple sclerosis.
In patients who underwent tDCS, there were significant reductions in fatigue associated with multiple sclerosis.
The mechanism by which glatiramer acetate exerts its therapeutic effect in MS is unknown, however it is thought to act by modifying immune processes.
John Stoffel, MD, Professor of Urology, Service Chief, and Associate Chair for Ambulatory Urology in the University of Michigan Department of Urology discusses the management of urinary retention in patients with MS.
Public health campaigns to raise awareness of the risks of vitamin D deficiency may help reduce the incidence of MS.
Using the inter-eye percentage difference may help surpass limitations associated with device and proprietary segmentation algorithms.
Previous research suggests a possible role for sodium intake in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis.
Concussion during adolescence increases multiple sclerosis diagnosis risk.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Brainstem Damage in Epilepsy May Be Biomarker for Increased SUDEP Risk
- Increased Epilepsy Risk Identified in Multiple Sclerosis
- Distinct Clinical Characteristics Associated With Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Managing Chronic Pain Associated With Traumatic Brain Injury
- Prognostic Significance of Weight Loss in Patients With Early Parkinsonism
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- When and How to Approach Driving Cessation in Patients With Dementia
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Erenumab, Fremanezumab Reduce Migraine Frequency, Burden
- Some Antiepileptic Drugs Associated With Increased Risk for Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- McDonald Criteria Update: Further Distinction Between Relapsing-Remitting, Primary-Progressive MS
- Initial Treatment With Ethosuximide Improves Behavioral Outcomes in Childhood Absence Epilepsy
- Bivacizumab Wins Full FDA Approval for Glioblastoma Treatment
- Men With Parkinson Disease More Likely to Have Caregiver
- Diet Linked to Multiple Sclerosis Disability, Diseases Severity