Given the prevalence of depression in Parkinson's disease and the effectiveness of antidepressants, health care providers should promote adherence in clinical practice.
Incidence of neuroleptic malignant syndrome, akathisia, and parkinsonism was higher in the ID group.
A panel of clinicians from different pediatric fields have developed new guidelines for the treatment of PANS.
Youth who have bipolar disorder are not affected by a decline in cognitive function into adulthood.
The findings suggest the importance of screening for posttraumatic stress disorder in this population.
Previous research has found a higher prevalence of depression before and after an epilepsy diagnosis.
Escitalopram may be better for the treatment of depression than tDCS.
The longer women are exposed to estrogen during reproductive years, the less likely they are to be depressed.
Patients who take medication for ADHD may have a lower risk of developing a substance abuse disorder.
Treatment with psychotropic medications may influence dementia risk in veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder.
Poor adherence to antipsychotic treatment in schizophrenia may be attributable to socially negative representations of schizophrenia.
Overall, depression affects significantly more women than men.
Patients with schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and psychotic bipolar disorder were examined for anticholinergic burden.
Veterans with comorbid PTSD and dementia were more likely to be prescribed second-generation antipsychotics.
Underlying pathophysiological mechanisms may connect depression and epilepsy.
Prescriptions for benzodiazepine lasting 2-3 months or more and marked dose increases should be avoided.
A study aimed to clarify the relationship between anxiety and depression in patients with multiple sclerosis.
NMDA receptor signaling is increased in patients with depression and reduced in those with schizophrenia.
Significant differences in volume were apparent in the amygdala, caudate, hippocampus, and putamen.
As dementia worsens, caregivers often have to report symptoms on behalf of the patient, and they tend to report more depressive symptoms than patients do.
Self-guided iCBT was more effective for depressive symptom severity and treatment response.
Prior research has speculated that PTSD may be caused in part by an underlying REM sleep dysfunction that is amplified by OSA.
Among older adults with subthreshold depression, collaborative care was linked to a decrease in PHQ-9 scores.
Psychological distress may cause changes within cells that trigger inflammation and oxidative stress, both of which are believed to increase stroke risk.
Nearly half of seniors taking these drug combinations didn't have a formal diagnosis of a mental health condition, insomnia, or pain condition.
There are several drug-based and non-pharmacological treatments available that can help reduce symptoms of depression in patients with epilepsy.
Comorbid psychological conditions affect cognitive function in Parkinson's disease, and treatment can be complicated by overlapping symptoms.
Children with medium to low adherence to the diet had a 3 to 7 times greater risk of ADHD.
An open-label study examined the effects of fecal microbiota transfer on symptoms of autism.
Effectively treating pain may help improve cognitive and functional outcomes in patients with depression.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines