Thiamine, a simple supplement that helps reverse Wernicke syndrome, is often underused and misused.
The researchers found that postoperative delirium occurred in 24% of participants and that 12% had 2 or more delirium days.
Cognitive dysfunction is 3 times higher in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
Chronic use of low-dose aspirin was not associated with onset of dementia or cognitive impairment, but was also not associated with significantly better global cognition.
The researchers found that higher baseline HOMA-IR and fasting insulin levels were independent predictors of poorer verbal fluency performance.
Patients with subclinical hypothyroidism scored worse on tests of processing speed than patients with normal thyroid function.
Previous research has suggested that statins and PCSK9 inhibitors may adversely affect cognition.
Middle-aged adults with orthostatic hypotension were found 40% more likely to develop dementia over time.
The study results suggest that patients with non-NPSLE have impaired memory function indicative of working memory-related neural dysfunction.
Engaging in mentally stimulating activities like games, crafting, and computers may help slow cognitive decline in the elderly.
Specific differences were found in the brains of those who attempted suicide and those who did not.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Growing Old Without Alzheimer's Pathology: What's the Secret?
- Minocycline May Slow Progression From Clinically Isolated Syndrome to Multiple Sclerosis
- Brain Inflammation Observed in Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Extended-Release Amantadine Reduces Levodopa-Induced Dyskinesia in Parkinson's Disease
- Treating Post-Traumatic Headache After Concussion