Thiamine, a simple supplement that helps reverse Wernicke syndrome, is often underused and misused.
Previous reports have suggested that statins or the low levels of LDL cholesterol they promote may have an adverse impact on cognition.
Effective cognitive screening instruments are needed in order to assess and manage milder forms of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders.
Most patients undergoing skull base irradiation for cancer do not have detectable cognitive impairment.
Light therapy has a moderate effect on behavioral disturbances and depression for people with cognitive impairment.
The researchers found that postoperative delirium occurred in 24% of participants and that 12% had 2 or more delirium days.
Cognitive dysfunction is 3 times higher in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.
Chronic use of low-dose aspirin was not associated with onset of dementia or cognitive impairment, but was also not associated with significantly better global cognition.
The researchers found that higher baseline HOMA-IR and fasting insulin levels were independent predictors of poorer verbal fluency performance.
Patients with subclinical hypothyroidism scored worse on tests of processing speed than patients with normal thyroid function.
Previous research has suggested that statins and PCSK9 inhibitors may adversely affect cognition.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines