Thiamine, a simple supplement that helps reverse Wernicke syndrome, is often underused and misused.
Chronic use of low-dose aspirin was not associated with onset of dementia or cognitive impairment, but was also not associated with significantly better global cognition.
The researchers found that higher baseline HOMA-IR and fasting insulin levels were independent predictors of poorer verbal fluency performance.
Patients with subclinical hypothyroidism scored worse on tests of processing speed than patients with normal thyroid function.
Previous research has suggested that statins and PCSK9 inhibitors may adversely affect cognition.
Middle-aged adults with orthostatic hypotension were found 40% more likely to develop dementia over time.
The study results suggest that patients with non-NPSLE have impaired memory function indicative of working memory-related neural dysfunction.
Engaging in mentally stimulating activities like games, crafting, and computers may help slow cognitive decline in the elderly.
Specific differences were found in the brains of those who attempted suicide and those who did not.
A low dose of dexmedetomidine may reduce the incidence of postoperative delirium in the elderly.
Patients reported significant cognitive difficulties from pre-chemotherapy to post-chemotherapy and from pre-chemotherapy to 6-month follow-up.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Vitamin D Deficiency Affects Cognition in Multiple Sclerosis
- Telestroke Treatment With IV tPA: How Long Is the Window of Opportunity?
- Hypothalamus May Play a Central Role in Chronic Migraine
- Migraine Attacks Associated With Reduced Dopamine Levels
- Polypharmacy in Schizophrenia May Have Adverse Effect on Cognition
- In MS, Disease Duration, Lesion Load Predict Relapses and Disability Progression
- Ocrelizumab May Improve Cognitive Function in Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Teriflunomide for MS Associated With Low Rates of Infection, Lymphopenia
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 5/25/17
- In Multiple Sclerosis, Hand Strength May Indicate Disease Status