Nonlanguage Mathematical, Visuospatial Learning Disabilities Likely in Focal Neurodegenerative SyndromesMay 10, 2018
Individual patients with PCA and LDs demonstrated more right-lateralized patterns of atrophy and greater preservation of global cognition compared with patients with PCA without LDs.
Medicare Annual Wellness Visits do not appear to substantially increase the detection of cognitive impairment in older adults.
For adolescents and young adults, frequent or heavy cannabis use has a small association with reduced cognitive functioning.
Using hearing aids may slow cognitive decline in later life.
Investigators obtained data from the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI) database on patients with normal cognition (n=111) and MCI (n=193), all of whom had CSF Ng samples at baseline as well as memory and executive function evaluations at follow-up.
The ultimate goal of stroke assessment is to enable physicians to make treatment decisions that are individualized and appropriate to the patient's needs, thereby improving patient outcomes.
Retinopathy as well as an overall loss of vascular integrity was significantly associated with a greater 20-year cognitive decline after controlling for attrition.
Preventive strategies for reducing the high incidence of bronchopulmonary dysplasia may be key to the improvement of long-term outcomes in EP/VP children.
Deleterious effect of alcohol dependence on frontal cortical volumes also compounded by drug use.
In ICU patients, prophylactic haloperidol did not improve 28-day or 90-day survival, nor did it reduce delirium incidence.
Delirium prevention and the use of nonpharmacologic methods for its treatment may improve short- and long-term outcomes among hospitalized patients.
For older adults with high cholesterol, the risk for cognitive decline is reduced.
Low-dose dexmedetomidine reduces delirium in critically ill adults.
In patients with mild cognitive impairment, CRF is associated with better white matter fiber integrity.
Children with chronic kidney disease may have deficits in global and domain-specific cognition.
Compared with placebo, prophylactic haloperidol does not improve survival for critically ill adults at high risk of delirium.
For community-dwelling older men, low serum sodium is associated with cognitive impairment and cognitive decline.
Investigators sought to examine factors that influence a cognitively normal individual's risk for developing symptoms of mild cognitive impairment due to Alzheimer disease.
HIV-positive patients with virological suppression did not have different rates of aging-relating cognitive decline compared with HIV-negative patients.
In older at-risk individuals, even APOE ε4 carriers, a multidomain lifestyle intervention seems to be beneficial.
Cognitive training helps to improve memory in older adults with mild cognitive impairment.
Cognitive therapies may help reduce falls in order adults.
Guidelines: AAN Recommends Exercise, Cautious Prescribing for Patients With Mild Cognitive ImpairmentJanuary 15, 2018
A lower education level was associated with higher MCI prevalence in 8 of the class I studies.
Intake of nutrients in green leafy vegetables is linked to a slower cognitive decline.
Anodal tDCS might not enhance short-term memory in healthy individuals when applied to the left DLPFC.
Charts may help identify individuals who may benefit most from early interventions to help preserve cognition.
HIV-positive individuals with higher alcohol levels performed worse on several cognitive tests, however alcohol was not the primary factor.
In Parkinson's patients who are cognitively normal or have mild cognitive impairment, patterns of cortical β-amyloid and tau are not different.
A population-based cohort study evaluated whether proton pump inhibitor use was associated with an increased risk for dementia.
The ACB scale shows good dose-response relationships between anticholinergic burden and adverse outcomes for older adults.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Concussion Misdiagnosis Associated With Emergency Department Stay, Injury Type
- Vitamin D: The Only Dietary Supplement Showing Significant Benefit for MS
- Evolution of NEDA: Q&A With Cleveland Clinic's Dr Robert Bermel
- Micronutrient Levels May Be Altered in ADHD
- Multiple Sclerosis Guidelines: AAN's Recommendations for Initiating, Switching, Stopping Disease-Modifying Therapy
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Solriamfetol Associated With Improvement in Narcolepsy Types 1 and 2
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- Unmet Therapy Needs Common in Children With Traumatic Brain Injury
- Congenital Heart Disease, Hispanic Ethnicity Associated With Increased Mortality in Pediatric Arterial Ischemic Stroke
- Addressing Migraine That Mimics Stroke
- Antidepressant Use for Insomnia: Is It Effective?
- Peripheral Neuropathy Common in Childhood Cancer Survivors