Because of dementia's prolonged disease course, advance care decisions and planning are often overlooked until it is too late.
The 400 mg solanezumab dose used in this study may not have been sufficient enough to provide clinically meaningful effects in these patients.
Positive beliefs on age may protect against dementia.
The use of DBS in patients with Alzheimer disease is well tolerated and associated with less decline on the CDR-SB.
A study was conducted to assess potential beneficial effects of a lifestyle intervention program on cognition in carriers of the APOE ε4 allele.
For older adults who are hospitalized after car crashes, vision testing and renewal requirements show to be related to reduced prevalence of dementia.
Solanezumab does not alter cognitive decline in patients with mild Alzheimer disease.
In older at-risk individuals, even APOE ε4 carriers, a multidomain lifestyle intervention seems to be beneficial.
Sugar found in caffeinated soda is associated with increased systemic inflammatory processes that may in turn be associated with neurodegeneration.
Zonisamide as an adjunct to levodopa therapy improves parkinsonism in patients with dementia with Lewy bodies.
Brain amyloidosis is associated with certain Alzheimer disease risk variants.
For patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer disease, the use of idalopirdine does not improve cognition.
Clinicians might benefit from standard guidelines on how to assess and refer patients with hearing loss.
There is an increased risk of dementia for patients with rheumatic diseases.
If confirmed in future studies, high triglycerides may present a modifiable risk factor for Alzheimer disease.
A hanful of studies reviewed the different types of interventions to prevent late-life dementia.
A population-based cohort study evaluated whether proton pump inhibitor use was associated with an increased risk for dementia.
It is predicted that by 2060, a total of 15 million American's will have clinical Alzheimer disease or mild cognitive impairment.
For improving cognition in a mouse model of AD, combining environmental enrichment and MgT is more effective than either alone.
This analysis was comprised of well-educated and mostly white patients, so these findings may be difficult to generalize to all populations.
An approximately 1-SD increase in SBP correlated with lower scores for 2 tests that assessed for brain damage, dementia, and task switching.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Updated Ischemic Stroke Guidelines: Expert Takeaways
- Alternative Genetic Risk Variant for Alzheimer Disease Identified
- Advance Directives for Dementia: Honoring Patient Wishes When You Don't Know What They Are
- Ethical Considerations in New Coma Research
- Poor Sleep Associated With Worse PTSD, Chronic Pain in Youth
- Comparing Reference Points for Deep Brain Stimulation Location in Parkinson Disease
- FDA Approves Clinical Decision Support Tool for Stroke
- US Will Produce Radioisotope for MRI, FDA Says
- Cognitive Decline in Men Linked to Low Serum Sodium
- Solanezumab Every 4 Weeks Does Not Significantly Affect Cognitive Decline in Alzheimer Disease