Some female carriers of the APOE4 gene have a 10-year window where they are more likely to develop Alzheimer's than men.
The researchers observed a significant difference in lithium exposure for patients with a diagnosis of dementia vs controls.
Seniors may be more likely to develop dementia as they age if they spend less time in REM sleep.
Visual dysfunction is associated with poor cognitive function in older adults.
Lifetime care costs are increased for people with dementia.
Depressive symptoms could be used as an early detection marker of Alzheimer's disease.
There is a higher risk of all-cause dementia, vascular dementia, and Alzheimer's disease in the elderly with increased BP variability.
An increase in weight ≥5% was associated with lower cognitive scores.
Many residents in nursing homes with cognitive impairments may be taking potentially inappropriate medications.
Participants with self-reported or objective moderate to poor hearing were more likely to have a dementia diagnosis.
Birthplace is a significant risk factor for dementia, even after adjusting for educational levels, race, and life-course vascular risk factors.
Using a transcranial magnetic stimulation approach might make it easier to distinguish Alzheimer's disease from frontotemporal dementia.
Alzheimer's patients can relearn some basic skills such as dressing and bathing themselves.
There may be a relationship between sleep disordered breathing and Alzheimer's disease caused by biological changes in the brain.
Small increases in social interaction benefits older adults with dementia.
For T2DM patients, FPG and HbA1c are independently associated with Alzheimer's disease.
Those who used PPIs were also more likely to use anticholinergic medicines that have been linked to cognitive difficulties
Improved cognitive function in older adults is being linked to the Mediterranean diet.
Sleep quality is associated with risk of Alzheimer's disease (AD), according to research published in Neurology.
The main differentiating factor was the presence of the APOE ε4 allele.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines