Survival without neuromotor disabilities in preterm infants has increased.
De novo KCNB1 missense and loss-of-function variants are associated with neurodevelopmental disorders.
Carriers of a deletion or duplication at 16p11.2 have neuroanatomic abnormalities that are associated with cognitive and behavioral impairment.
No statistically significant differences between the groups in the distribution of patients without neurodevelopmental impairment were observed.
The FDA has warned and/or taken action against a number of companies that have made improper claims about the intended use of their products to treat or cure autism.
Female participants with phenotypic male neuroanatomical features had an increased risk for autism spectrum disorder.
The CDC report only accounts for physical birth defects, as researchers note that the full scope of developmental defects has yet to be recorded.
Significant differences in volume were apparent in the amygdala, caudate, hippocampus, and putamen.
Early detection and robust treatment are critical to limiting deficits in achieving developmental milestones in HIV-infected infants.
Despite increased awareness, barriers to earlier diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder still persist.
Researchers found no difference in neurodevelopment in children conceived by ART.
In both parents, a BMI ≥35 kg/m² suggested a likelihood that the child would fail the problem-solving domain.
PRS presents a good tool to measure genetic loading of ADHD variants, suggesting which cases are most likely to persist.
Moderate to high levels of drinking during early pregnancy were associated with significant alterations in circulating microRNAs in maternal blood.
Neurodevelopment improvement should not be considered a treatment goal of supplementing donor milk, the authors concluded.
Effects of fetal exposure are yet to be determined.
Although PCB chemicals were banned int he 1970s, they still linger in the environment.
The new guidelines include a step-by-step diagnostic algorithm for use in the clinical setting, as well as a special emphasis on neurobehavioral impairment.
Clear communication is key during this high-stress time.
Children with autism had a hearing deficit within a specific frequency.
The results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
The authors suggest that it's "perhaps not a fair direct comparison" to note that the CDC&P estimate of community prevalence for ASD is 15 per 1000 children.
Exome sequencing led to better treatments in 4 out of 10 cases studied.
Patients with MS were likely to experience relapses for the first time or relapse continuation between the ages of 27 and 47 years.
Social and emotional support may independently help reduce the risk of stroke and dementia.
Special education resources appear to play a significant role in the evaluation and diagnosis of ASD.
Compared to laser treatment, infants given Avastin were more than 3 times as likely to have neurodevelopmental problems.
Mothers who are both obese and have gestational diabetes have a significantly higher risk of having a child with autism spectrum disorder.
The link between Zika virus and microcephaly is still being explored.
The CDC is encouraging health care providers to proactively test women who are pregnant or of reproductive age that may have been exposed to Zika virus.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Intranasal Sumatriptan More Effectively Reduces Migraine-Associated Nausea
- Neuropsychiatric Conditions Common in Relatives of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- FDA Approves Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size