Many children of mothers with evidence of confirmed or possible Zika virus infection during pregnancy do not undergo all recommended evaluations.
Severe and adverse late findings on neonatal cranial ultrasound and MRI in preterm infants, including cerebellar lesions and white matter abnormalities, may predict cognitive impairment and disability at 6 to 7 years of age.
A literature review was conducted to assess the association between hypertensive disorders of pregnancy and neurodevelopmental disorders in offspring.
Investigators sought to investigate the association between the use of diethylstilbestrol during pregnancy on risk for ADHD in subsequent generations.
In multivariate analyses, adverse late cranial ultrasound findings were an independent risk factor for full scale IQ scores.
There is no increased rate of neurodevelopmental disability in preterm infants using inhaled glucocorticoids.
Survival without neuromotor disabilities in preterm infants has increased.
De novo KCNB1 missense and loss-of-function variants are associated with neurodevelopmental disorders.
Carriers of a deletion or duplication at 16p11.2 have neuroanatomic abnormalities that are associated with cognitive and behavioral impairment.
No statistically significant differences between the groups in the distribution of patients without neurodevelopmental impairment were observed.
The FDA has warned and/or taken action against a number of companies that have made improper claims about the intended use of their products to treat or cure autism.
Female participants with phenotypic male neuroanatomical features had an increased risk for autism spectrum disorder.
The CDC report only accounts for physical birth defects, as researchers note that the full scope of developmental defects has yet to be recorded.
Significant differences in volume were apparent in the amygdala, caudate, hippocampus, and putamen.
Early detection and robust treatment are critical to limiting deficits in achieving developmental milestones in HIV-infected infants.
Despite increased awareness, barriers to earlier diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder still persist.
Researchers found no difference in neurodevelopment in children conceived by ART.
In both parents, a BMI ≥35 kg/m² suggested a likelihood that the child would fail the problem-solving domain.
PRS presents a good tool to measure genetic loading of ADHD variants, suggesting which cases are most likely to persist.
Moderate to high levels of drinking during early pregnancy were associated with significant alterations in circulating microRNAs in maternal blood.
Neurodevelopment improvement should not be considered a treatment goal of supplementing donor milk, the authors concluded.
Effects of fetal exposure are yet to be determined.
Although PCB chemicals were banned int he 1970s, they still linger in the environment.
The new guidelines include a step-by-step diagnostic algorithm for use in the clinical setting, as well as a special emphasis on neurobehavioral impairment.
Clear communication is key during this high-stress time.
Children with autism had a hearing deficit within a specific frequency.
The results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
The authors suggest that it's "perhaps not a fair direct comparison" to note that the CDC&P estimate of community prevalence for ASD is 15 per 1000 children.
Exome sequencing led to better treatments in 4 out of 10 cases studied.
Patients with MS were likely to experience relapses for the first time or relapse continuation between the ages of 27 and 47 years.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd