Treatment with eculizumab was associated with a significant benefit on quality of life.
Rheumatological disorders were associated with a 7-fold risk of developing Guillain-Barré syndrome.
Patients who received nusinersen had a greater likelihood of survival compared to those who received sham treatment.
Repeat expansion of the C9orf72 gene does not account for the elevated prevalence of neuropsychiatric disease in relatives of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Peripheral nerve involvement can be visualized and quantified by high-resolution MRN in MS patients.
Investigators strived to determine the association between multiple sclerosis and Epstein-Barr virus or cytomegalovirus infection in blacks and Hispanics.
Aubagio may cause delays in conversion to clinical definite MS by slowing the loss of cortical grey matter.
Patients experienced reduced disease activity when switched to alemtuzumab.
Patients with relapsing-remittingmultiple sclerosis with high titers of JCV antibodies and who were being treated with natalizumab for more than 2 years were enrolled in the study.
Celgene announced new Phase 3 data evaluating the safety and efficacy of ozanimod vs Avonex for RMS.
Data show superiority of OCREVUS compared to Rebif in reducing disability progression independent of relapse activity in people with RMS.
There are no FDA-approved MS therapies for the pediatric population.
As early treatment of multiple sclerosis is crucial, it is important to identify the factors that may delay diagnosis.
An emerging line of inquiry suggests a potential association between comorbidities and MS relapses, but studies have been limited.
Patients with multiple sclerosis who experience severe fatigue should be screened for obstructive sleep apnea.
In patients with multiple sclerosis, lesions in the right dorsolateral prefrontal cortex may be associated with hypoalgesia, and lesions in the posterior periventricular area, with hyperalgesia.
Researchers believe that environmental factors may impact disease severity characteristics in genetically susceptible populations.
With its 20-minute application time, the BICAMS is one of the few tools available for small centers with only a few staff members who might not be trained in administering neuropsychological tests.
Viral load of Epstien-Barr virus and human herpesvirus 6 may be higher in patients with MS who also have low vitamin D levels.
Early treatment with cladribine in MS may help keep patients relapse-free with little to no progression in disability.
Plasma exchange and steroids should be used with caution in patients with PML.
Improving PML risk estimates is an important component of treatment with natalizumab for multiple sclerosis.
The FDA has approved Soliris for treating adults with myasthenia gravis.
Central inflammatory mediators may be responsible for mood-related symptoms in patients with multiple sclerosis.
Increased fat intake is associated with a higher risk of relapse for children with multiple sclerosis.
In patients who underwent tDCS, there were significant reductions in fatigue associated with multiple sclerosis.
The findings suggest that changes in immune status may be a consequence of ALS.
Results suggest that sex hormones may play a role in the development of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
The mechanism by which glatiramer acetate exerts its therapeutic effect in MS is unknown, however it is thought to act by modifying immune processes.
John Stoffel, MD, Professor of Urology, Service Chief, and Associate Chair for Ambulatory Urology in the University of Michigan Department of Urology discusses the management of urinary retention in patients with MS.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Some Antiepileptic Drugs Associated With Increased Risk for Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- Cognitive Impairment in Multi-System Atrophy: Is It Time to Update Diagnostic Criteria?
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- Lamotrigine Use During Pregnancy Not Associated With Birth Defects
- Risk for Guillain-Barré Syndrome Associated With Early Life Immune-Mediated Disorders
- Eculizumab Safe, Tolerable for Refractory Generalized Myasthenia Gravis
- Episodic Migraine Increases Risk for CVD, Subsequent Contraindications to Therapy
- Force Analysis May Aid in Determining Neurosurgeon Skill Level