Geoffrey Littlejohn, MD, provides a clinical perspective on the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia and the role of neurogenic inflammation in the disease process.
Reduced amplitude of the ulnar motor nerve and the sural nerve action potentials may be specific to transthyretin familial amyloid polyneuropathies, allowing us to distinguish this disorder from other demyelinating polyneuropathies.
In back-related leg pain and sciatica patients, belief in a long recovery and the number of other symptoms attributed to the pain are independently negatively associated with improvement.
CAPPRI Scale is Feasible for Assessing Health-Related Quality of Life in Diabetic Distal Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy
Investigators evaluated the performance of the CAPPRI in assessing health-related quality-of-life outcomes in patients with diabetic distal sensorimotor polyneuropathy.
Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Compared with control patients, patients with restless leg syndrome symptoms experienced a morphologic change in the brain somatosensory system.
Childhood cancer survivors frequently have clinical abnormalities attributable to peripheral neuropathy.
The type of sciatic nerve lesions observed in patients with diabetic peripheral neuropathy was found to differ in type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Specific countries officially recommend some screening questionnaires for the early assessment of neuropathic pain, with France recommending the DN4 and Germany recommending PainDETECT.
For patients with gluten neuropathy, following a strict gluten-free diet is associated with significantly reduced odds of peripheral neuropathic pain.
Improvement in fibromyalgia impact questionnaire scores was greater for combined tai chi groups.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- OCD in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Features Distinct Phenotype, Associated Symptoms
- History of Migraine Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: Weighing the Risks and Benefits
- A Model for Predicting Quality of Life Improvements After Deep Brain Stimulation
- High Treatment Adherence and Quality of Life Observed With Fingolimod
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Insurance Status Tied to Higher Self-Perceived Poor/Fair Health
- Early Treatment Failure More Likely With Carbamazepine vs Lamotrigine in Epilepsy
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Concurrent Non-Motor Functions Strongly Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Feeling Young May Be Reflected in Brain Structure