Rates of painful diabetic neuropathy are increasing along with the prevalence of diabetes.
Opioid therapy was shown to improve quality of life in patients with comorbid fibromyalgia and PTSD.
If patients with neuropathic pain don't respond to a low dose of pregabalin, they may benefit from a higher dose.
RLS symptoms can be improved by nerve decompression for peripheral neuropathy.
Aerobic exercise appeared to benefit health-related quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
As a response to the opioid epidemic, clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids.
Childhood adversity levels are increased in female patients with fibromyalgia and chronic pain.
The update focused on diagnosis of neuropathic pain in patients with spinal cord injury, stroke, or multiple sclerosis.
Most prescriptions for long-term opioid therapy were written by internal or family medicine physicians.
PNS can be beneficial for chronic intractable pain secondary to postherpetic neuralgia.
Researchers are looking into improving sleep in order to alleviate chronic pain.
Patients suffering from postherpetic nearalgia found relief taking gabapentin.
Although there is currently no gold standard therapy for the treatment of fibromyalgia, a number of medications have shown modest efficacy in managing fibromyalgia-related pain, including pregabalin.
The effects of dronabinol, nabilone, and nabiximols on neuropathic pain were assessed.
Previous research has suggested a link between early use of pregabalin in pregnancy and congenital malformations.
While adherence was improved, health care costs were increased.
A 10-minute application resulted in significant reductions in pain scores.
Patients with trigeminal neuralgia face a significant burden of illness.
The patch used in the study is approved in the United States for postherpetic neuralgia and in Europe for PNP arising from any etiology.
Even minor improvements in fibromyalgia symptoms, depression, anxiety, and pain can have a significant impact on the quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
Transcranial random noise stimulation improved both physical and cognitive symptoms of fibromyalgia.
As the population ages, and as both the incidence of diabetes and the survival rates after chemotherapy treatment increase, the number of patients with neuropathic pain is expected to rise.
No significant between-group differences were observed for change in leg pain intensity and disability.
In patients with impaired sensory discrimination, pain descriptors, localization, and pain triggers are often vague or poorly defined.
Clinically and statistically significant reductions in peripheral neuropathy were seen following neurofeedback.
New evidence on diabetic neuropathy has emerged since the ADA's last published a position statement in 2005.
Patients who received concomitant NeP medications showed little difference in therapeutic response in comparison to those who received pregabalin alone.
Significant improvement were observed for sensitivity, depression, and anxiety, among others.
Patients with fibromyalgia had a high prevalence of TRAb positivity compared with control populations in previous studies.
Recent findings offer a new avenue for the development of peripheral analgesics with minimal adverse effects.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines