Children often fill outpatient opioid prescriptions, with the most common indication for dental procedures.
A novel, innovative initiative is being developed to help end addiction over the long term.
Use of medications for opioid use disorder is associated with a reduction in all-cause and opioid-related mortality after opioid overdose.
The US Drug Enforcement Administration's 2014 ruling to reschedule hydrocodone combination products coincided with an increase in illicit trading of opioids through online illicit markets.
Nine online networks have been warned that they must stop illegally marketing potentially dangerous, and misbranded versions of opioid medications.
A recall of the opioid overdose antidote Naloxone was announced Monday.
A NDA has been submitted for NKTR-181, an opioid analgesic molecule designed to provide pain relief with fewer CNS-mediated side effects.
Evidence on whether the implementation of prescription drug monitory programs increases or decreases opioid-related overdoses was found to be "largely insufficient".
Investigators conducted a population-based study to assess risk and cause of unnatural mortality in individuals with epilepsy.
Higher education, illicit drug use, depression, and pain interference with normal work are significantly associated with opioid misuse.
Another case of unusual amnestic syndrome that includes bilateral hippocampal lesions on MRI has been described.
Disposal of unused opioids after surgery is improved with an educational brochure.
The authors examined the demographic and geographic variation and the correlation between the local economic environment and measures of individual opioid prescriptions.
Higher-concentration intranasal naloxone has similar efficacy to that of intramuscular naloxone given at the same dose for reversal of opioid overdose.
There is a significantly increased risk of prescription opioid deaths for those born between 1947 and 1964.
There may be more health benefits at a lower cost with immediate access to opioid agonist treatment for patients with opioid use disorder.
There is a higher risk for opioid-related death in patients taking concomitant prescription opioids and gabapentin.
Medicare Part D formularies increasingly used quantity limits and prior authorization in order to reduce dosing of prescription opioids.
After surgical procedures, the optimal length of opioid prescription lies between the observed median prescription length and the early nadir.
The CDC is is launching a campaign to help fight the opioid crisis.
It is recommended that physicians educate their patients/their patients' family members regarding the steps to take in case of a potential overdose.
The most opioid use occurs in the top 10% of privately insured adults without cancer who are using opioids.
Assessments showed a 66% reduction in pain during the session and a 33% reduction in pain at the end of the session.
There are nearly as many migraine patients receiving opioids as there are patients receiving level A abortive medications.
There is an increased risk of neonatal drug withdrawal if psychotropic medications and opioids are used during pregnancy.
As a response to the opioid epidemic, clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids.
Even though there are concerns about opioid addiction and misuse, there are still more than 1/3 of Americans using them.
Quality of life and improved pain and function may be achieved by reducing opioid doses.
Hospitalists must use opioids judiciously, including adhering to specific dose limits and setting expectations for pain control, medication stop dates, and refills.
Most prescriptions for long-term opioid therapy were written by internal or family medicine physicians.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- OCD in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Features Distinct Phenotype, Associated Symptoms
- History of Migraine Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Patent Foramen Ovale Closure for Stroke Prevention: Key Principles for Clinical Practice
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: Weighing the Risks and Benefits
- A Model for Predicting Quality of Life Improvements After Deep Brain Stimulation
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- First-in-Class Therapy Approved for Polyneuropathy Caused by hATTR
- High Anxiety Symptoms Prevalent in Epilepsy, Mesial Temporal Sclerosis
- Advance Care Planning Doesn't Aid Quality of Life
- Variation in Specialty Drug Coverage Across Health Plans
- Alcohol Exposure Via Breastmilk May Affect Infant Development