Assessments showed a 66% reduction in pain during the session and a 33% reduction in pain at the end of the session.
There are nearly as many migraine patients receiving opioids as there are patients receiving level A abortive medications.
In the US, the use of complementary and alternative medicine specifically for treating migraine and headaches is relatively low.
As a response to the opioid epidemic, clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids.
Even though there are concerns about opioid addiction and misuse, there are still more than 1/3 of Americans using them.
Quality of life and improved pain and function may be achieved by reducing opioid doses.
The update focused on diagnosis of neuropathic pain in patients with spinal cord injury, stroke, or multiple sclerosis.
Hospitalists must use opioids judiciously, including adhering to specific dose limits and setting expectations for pain control, medication stop dates, and refills.
Most prescriptions for long-term opioid therapy were written by internal or family medicine physicians.
Patients with chronic pain may have a lower risk of becoming addicted to opioids if they are taught coping skills.
PNS can be beneficial for chronic intractable pain secondary to postherpetic neuralgia.
Researchers are looking into improving sleep in order to alleviate chronic pain.
The NASEM report, which was commissioned by the FDA, gives an update on current research in the pain field.
Patients suffering from postherpetic nearalgia found relief taking gabapentin.
An FDA panel previously voted that the drug's benefits no longer outweigh its risks.
Previous research has suggested a link between early use of pregabalin in pregnancy and congenital malformations.
While adherence was improved, health care costs were increased.
A 10-minute application resulted in significant reductions in pain scores.
The patch used in the study is approved in the United States for postherpetic neuralgia and in Europe for PNP arising from any etiology.
Even minor improvements in fibromyalgia symptoms, depression, anxiety, and pain can have a significant impact on the quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
Reports of pain may indicate a preclinical course of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
As the population ages, and as both the incidence of diabetes and the survival rates after chemotherapy treatment increase, the number of patients with neuropathic pain is expected to rise.
The VA and DoD issue a clinical practice guideline regarding opioid therapy for chronic pain in veterans.
Avoidance can lead to headache disability by reducing pain thresholds and preventing pain habituation.
The characteristics of migraine may change throughout a woman's reproductive stages, and may require different treatment strategies.
No significant between-group differences were observed for change in leg pain intensity and disability.
Clinically and statistically significant reductions in peripheral neuropathy were seen following neurofeedback.
Spinal cord stimulation using precision approach via 3D neural targeting shows superior efficacy in treating chronic axial low back pain compared with a trial-and-error method to achieve desired paresthesia.
Remote electrical stimulation appears to have similar efficacy to standard drug treatments, including triptans.
A significant decrease in migraine frequency was observed, but it is not clear how large a role placebo effect plays in treatment response.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines