For adolescents with chronic pain, a combination of different therapies such as CBT and breathing exercises may be beneficial.
There is a higher risk for opioid-related death in patients taking concomitant prescription opioids and gabapentin.
Medicare Part D formularies increasingly used quantity limits and prior authorization in order to reduce dosing of prescription opioids.
After surgical procedures, the optimal length of opioid prescription lies between the observed median prescription length and the early nadir.
The CDC is is launching a campaign to help fight the opioid crisis.
It is recommended that physicians educate their patients/their patients' family members regarding the steps to take in case of a potential overdose.
The most opioid use occurs in the top 10% of privately insured adults without cancer who are using opioids.
The Intellis platform has been announced as a way to manage certain types of chronic pain.
Assessments showed a 66% reduction in pain during the session and a 33% reduction in pain at the end of the session.
There are nearly as many migraine patients receiving opioids as there are patients receiving level A abortive medications.
In the US, the use of complementary and alternative medicine specifically for treating migraine and headaches is relatively low.
As a response to the opioid epidemic, clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids.
Even though there are concerns about opioid addiction and misuse, there are still more than 1/3 of Americans using them.
Quality of life and improved pain and function may be achieved by reducing opioid doses.
The update focused on diagnosis of neuropathic pain in patients with spinal cord injury, stroke, or multiple sclerosis.
Hospitalists must use opioids judiciously, including adhering to specific dose limits and setting expectations for pain control, medication stop dates, and refills.
Most prescriptions for long-term opioid therapy were written by internal or family medicine physicians.
Patients with chronic pain may have a lower risk of becoming addicted to opioids if they are taught coping skills.
PNS can be beneficial for chronic intractable pain secondary to postherpetic neuralgia.
Researchers are looking into improving sleep in order to alleviate chronic pain.
The NASEM report, which was commissioned by the FDA, gives an update on current research in the pain field.
Patients suffering from postherpetic nearalgia found relief taking gabapentin.
An FDA panel previously voted that the drug's benefits no longer outweigh its risks.
Previous research has suggested a link between early use of pregabalin in pregnancy and congenital malformations.
While adherence was improved, health care costs were increased.
A 10-minute application resulted in significant reductions in pain scores.
The patch used in the study is approved in the United States for postherpetic neuralgia and in Europe for PNP arising from any etiology.
Even minor improvements in fibromyalgia symptoms, depression, anxiety, and pain can have a significant impact on the quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
Reports of pain may indicate a preclinical course of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
As the population ages, and as both the incidence of diabetes and the survival rates after chemotherapy treatment increase, the number of patients with neuropathic pain is expected to rise.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Intranasal Sumatriptan More Effectively Reduces Migraine-Associated Nausea
- Neuropsychiatric Conditions Common in Relatives of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- FDA Approves Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size