Assessments showed a 66% reduction in pain during the session and a 33% reduction in pain at the end of the session.
As a response to the opioid epidemic, clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids.
Even though there are concerns about opioid addiction and misuse, there are still more than 1/3 of Americans using them.
Ketamine was found to alleviate a number of pain-related conditions, and a number of clinical trials investigating its efficacy are ongoing.
Quality of life and improved pain and function may be achieved by reducing opioid doses.
Hospitalists must use opioids judiciously, including adhering to specific dose limits and setting expectations for pain control, medication stop dates, and refills.
Patients with chronic pain may have a lower risk of becoming addicted to opioids if they are taught coping skills.
PNS can be beneficial for chronic intractable pain secondary to postherpetic neuralgia.
The NASEM report, which was commissioned by the FDA, gives an update on current research in the pain field.
Older adults with chronic pain have been found to have poorer memory and executive function than their younger counterparts.
An FDA panel previously voted that the drug's benefits no longer outweigh its risks.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines