The diagnosis of Parkinson disease is made mostly through a clinical assessment of motor signs and symptoms, which appear when approximately 70% of nigral neurons are lost.
Patients with dyskinesia had a significantly higher frequency of impulse control disorders.
MRI may be used to identify Parkinson disease biomarkers that can inform diagnosis, track disease progression, and elucidate the neurobiological underpinnings of symptoms.
Given the prevalence of depression in Parkinson's disease and the effectiveness of antidepressants, health care providers should promote adherence in clinical practice.
There is a higher risk of death from Parkinson's disease or ALS in white collar workers.
Dopamine deficiency, decreases in cortical thickness and volume in certain areas of the brain was predictive of cognitive decline.
Patients in the treatment group had improved ON and OFF times and no worsening of motor function.
Patients with multiple system atrophy with parkinsonism face the greatest risk for death among synucleinopathies.
However, there is a trend toward lower risk of Parkinson's for patients with truncal vagotomy.
Dextromethorphan is thought to have an impact on all 3 therapeutic pathways for dyskinesia.
Jori Fleisher, MD, MSCE, of New York University School of Medicine, discusses her research on an interdisciplinary home visit program for patients with advanced Parkinson's disease. Scroll below the video for the full transcript.
A patient should be notified of the possibility of developing an ICD before initiating any dopaminergic treatment for PD, particularly dopamine agonists.
A 150-year-old drug, apomorphine, may reduce off time in patients with Parkinson's disease.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Stroke Risk Predicted by Dietary Sodium:Potassium Ratio
- Patent Foramen Ovale and Migraine: Is It Time to Close the Book?
- Publication Bias in Neurology Research: Why It Matters and Why It Needs to Change
- Neuropsychiatric Conditions Common in Relatives of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- FDA Approves Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
- Brain Inflammation Associated With Depression, Anxiety in Multiple Sclerosis
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Childhood Abuse Associated With Migraine, Neuroticism in Adulthood
- Patients With Parkinson Disease Are at High Risk for Depression
- Improving Outcomes of Peripheral Nerve Surgery
- Thrombectomy Recommended in Stroke Patients With Mismatched Deficit, Infarct Volume