Given the prevalence of depression in Parkinson's disease and the effectiveness of antidepressants, health care providers should promote adherence in clinical practice.
There is a higher risk of death from Parkinson's disease or ALS in white collar workers.
Dopamine deficiency, decreases in cortical thickness and volume in certain areas of the brain was predictive of cognitive decline.
Patients in the treatment group had improved ON and OFF times and no worsening of motor function.
Patients with multiple system atrophy with parkinsonism face the greatest risk for death among synucleinopathies.
However, there is a trend toward lower risk of Parkinson's for patients with truncal vagotomy.
Dextromethorphan is thought to have an impact on all 3 therapeutic pathways for dyskinesia.
Jori Fleisher, MD, MSCE, of New York University School of Medicine, discusses her research on an interdisciplinary home visit program for patients with advanced Parkinson's disease. Scroll below the video for the full transcript.
A patient should be notified of the possibility of developing an ICD before initiating any dopaminergic treatment for PD, particularly dopamine agonists.
A 150-year-old drug, apomorphine, may reduce off time in patients with Parkinson's disease.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines