Patients with postural instability and gait disturbances had worse sleep scores than those with tremor-dominant Parkinson's.
Risk-seeking behavior may result from chronic sleep restriction.
Seniors may be more likely to develop dementia as they age if they spend less time in REM sleep.
Patients with both Parkinson's and rapid eye movement sleep behavior disorder were much more likely to experience mild cognitive impairment.
Obstructive sleep apnea is associated with elevated blood coagulability.
Cognitive deficits can be caused by sleep-disordered breathing.
There may be a relationship between sleep disordered breathing and Alzheimer's disease caused by biological changes in the brain.
Excessive daytime sleepiness and headache frequency were found to be linked, however there was no link between EDS and migraine or CTTH.
Risks of adverse cardiovascular-related outcomes or mortality are not reduced with CPAP treatment.
Patients with sleep apnea are more likely to use their CPAP after watching themselves struggle with breathing at night.
Obstructive sleep apnea in patients with type 2 diabetes is a predictor for diabetic retinopathy.
Quality of sleep was associated with various aspects of life, especially pain, vitality, and emotional health.
The patient presented with daytime sleepiness persisting since childhood even with 9 hours of sleep
Patients receiving buprenorphine maintenance therapy for their opioid use disorder may have impaired sleep, although they report improvements in both quality and duration of sleep.
Interventions to improve memory in schizophrenia might need to both increase spindle density as well as boost their coordination with NREM oscillations.
The US Food and Drug Administration requested that sodium oxybate be studied in pediatric patients.
Hematocrit levels and presence of erythrocytosis were associated with awake and nocturnal hypoxemia, according to the study.
Shorter sleep duration may increase mortality risks associated with both cardiovascular and cerebrovascular disease.
The clinical impact of positive airway pressure in patients with pulmonary embolism is not well known.
After influenza infection, the risk for narcolepsy was increased by 2- to 3-fold overall.
A significant association was found between the apnea-hypopnea index and Epworth Sleepiness Scale scores.
Some well-known sleep disorders, including sleep apnea and parasomnias, are associated with headaches.
The guideline contains updated recommendations from previous practice parameters and guidelines published in 2005 and 2007.
A doctor who prescribed a particular insomnia medication in the past was 3 times as likely to continue prescribing the same drug
Researchers found that people who slept 9 or more hours per night were at an increased risk of dementia.
Prior research has speculated that PTSD may be caused in part by an underlying REM sleep dysfunction that is amplified by OSA.
Acupressure may help significantly improve sleep quality index scores in the elderly.
Interventions with clinical massage or guided imagery may help ease pain and anxiety in patients in a progressive care unit.
A marked improvement in daytime sleepiness was observed in patients who underwent surgical weight loss procedures.
The USPSTF concluded that there is insufficient evidence to assess the reported risks and benefits of OSA screening in asymptomatic adults.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines