Stroke Feature Archive
Recent research found benefits in outcome outweighed any increase in hemorrhagic complications in patients with large infarcts.
Although the study did not demonstrate efficacy of glyburide, differences were seen in the amount midline shift at 3-4 days.
Despite 3 large randomized trials and updated guidelines, the question of PFO closure remains a complex entity.
A joint medical and surgical approach may ensure the best outcome.
The idea of low-dose tPA will likely not be abandoned despite recent findings.
Ticagrelor may have an opportunity to shine in patients already on aspirin or clopidogrel.
Patients undergoing cardiac surgery should be evaluated for cardiovascular disease to assess stroke risk.
Interventional stroke treatment continues to rapidly evolve as health care providers implement new protocols to ensure more rapid, successful treatment.
New recommendations for the treatment of acute stroke put emergency physicians and neurology stroke specialists at odds.
Overlapping clinical characteristics between women with migraine and those using contraceptives may indicate an elevated risk of stroke.
The affect of stroke on young adults goes far beyond functional disabilities.
With no established guidelines, much of the decisions for management of hypertension during stroke are based on clinician experience.
The long-awaited results of the MR CLEAN trial are sure to affect the future of acute stroke treatment.
Robotics, stem cell therapy, and computer-controlled interfaces are promising, but cost may slow adoption.
If the UTHealth mobile stroke unit program can show that treating ischemic stroke within 60 minutes is feasible and cost effective, more may start rolling out nationally.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Serum Cytokine Levels May Correlate With Cognitive Dysfunction in Alzheimer's Disease
- Migraine-Associated Stroke Not Linked to Atherosclerosis
- Ptosis Repair Effective for Reducing Tension-Type Headache
- Intracranial Hemorrhage Associated with Arteriovenous Malformations Linked to Better Outcomes
- MRI-Guided Focused Ultrasound More Cost Effective Treatment for Essential Tremor
- In MS, Disease Duration, Lesion Load Predict Relapses and Disability Progression
- Stroke and Dementia Associated with Artificially-Sweetened Drinks?
- Case Report: DBS for the Treatment of Dystonia in Huntington's
- Treating Movement Disorders With Telemedicine: Getting Started
- Poor Quality of Sleep, Quality of Life in Patients With Lupus