Stroke Feature Archive
Despite disappointing results, tenecteplase's story in stroke treatment might not be over.
Neurologists need to engage their emergency medicine colleagues to identify protocols and pathways for when to trigger appropriate neurological consultation or initiate acute stroke therapies.
Recent research found benefits in outcome outweighed any increase in hemorrhagic complications in patients with large infarcts.
Although the study did not demonstrate efficacy of glyburide, differences were seen in the amount midline shift at 3-4 days.
Despite 3 large randomized trials and updated guidelines, the question of PFO closure remains a complex entity.
A joint medical and surgical approach may ensure the best outcome.
The idea of low-dose tPA will likely not be abandoned despite recent findings.
Ticagrelor may have an opportunity to shine in patients already on aspirin or clopidogrel.
Patients undergoing cardiac surgery should be evaluated for cardiovascular disease to assess stroke risk.
Interventional stroke treatment continues to rapidly evolve as health care providers implement new protocols to ensure more rapid, successful treatment.
New recommendations for the treatment of acute stroke put emergency physicians and neurology stroke specialists at odds.
Overlapping clinical characteristics between women with migraine and those using contraceptives may indicate an elevated risk of stroke.
The affect of stroke on young adults goes far beyond functional disabilities.
With no established guidelines, much of the decisions for management of hypertension during stroke are based on clinician experience.
The long-awaited results of the MR CLEAN trial are sure to affect the future of acute stroke treatment.
Robotics, stem cell therapy, and computer-controlled interfaces are promising, but cost may slow adoption.
If the UTHealth mobile stroke unit program can show that treating ischemic stroke within 60 minutes is feasible and cost effective, more may start rolling out nationally.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Erenumab for Episodic Migraine: A Closer Look at the Data
- Shortcomings in ALS Research: Strategies for Improvement
- Factors Predictive of Mild Cognitive Impairment in Healthy Individuals
- Comparing Reference Points for Deep Brain Stimulation Location in Parkinson Disease
- Arimoclomol Shows Promise for Treating Rapidly Progressive SOD1 ALS
- CNS Abnormalities Common in Erdheim-Chester Disease
- Trial of Verubecestat for Prodromal Alzheimer Disease Discontinued
- Ischemic Stroke, Myocardial Infarction Both Tied to Lipoproteins, Lipids
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH