A double-blind study evaluated whether repeated single abobotulinumtoxinA injections administered over a year reduces spastic muscle tone in patients with chronic hemiparesis.
Ablation is associated with reduced risk of recurrent stroke for patients with artrial fibrillation.
After stroke, virtual reality training may be as effective for upper extremity rehabilitation as standard care.
The effects of ischemic stroke on disability trajectories over an extended period of time were examined.
The new guidelines for the diagnostic threshold for stage 1 hypertension were lowered from 140/90 to 130/80.
Patients with the lowest bone mineral density had the largest aneurysm size.
In older adults, lower cardiac index is linked to lower cerebral blood blow in the temporal lobe.
Thrombectomy plus standard care is better for patients with acute stroke.
In addition to known risk factors such as blood pressure, age, and cholesterol, coffee and red meat intake were important predictors of heart failure and stroke.
Patients at risk of stroke may benefit from the total homocysteine-lowering effects of folic acid supplementation.
The findings highlight the importance of considering dietary intake as a whole, rather than examining micronutrients on an individual basis.
Patients enrolled in this study had strokes that were mild in severity, reducing the generalizability of these findings to the broader population.
There is a higher prevalence of multiple intracranial atherosclerotic plaques in black men.
Patients who experience acute coronary syndrome are at greater risk of recurrent ischemic events, including stroke.
All patients included in the study underwent a MRI or multimodal CT approximately 24 hours after onset of stroke.
Ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes are a common complication of infective endocarditis, but guidance on intervention is varied.
Long-term, high-dose usage of PPIs increases the risk of first-time ischemic stroke and myocardial infarction.
Direct oral anticoagulant use is not linked with an increase in major bleeding in patients with VTE.
The American Heart and American Stroke Associations have developed an outline focused on the impact of cognitive impairment on public health, and the maintenance and definition of optimal brain health.
While the increase in cardiovascular risk factors is at least partially due to the obesity epidemic, the researchers believe the increase is multifactorial.
Results from a secondary analysis of the ENCHANTED trial add to a pile of weak data that likely will not affect clinical practice.
The trial, sponsored by the University of Birmingham, is currently recruiting participants.
Significant infarct progression can make patients ineligible for mechanical thrombectomy.
Risk scores help identify high-risk patients who may benefit from intervention.
Mechanisms including silent cerebral infarct, microemboli, microbleedings, and cerebral hypoperfusion may be responsible for the link between atrial fibrillation and cognitive decline.
The findings support the continuation of high-intensity statin therapy after acute ischemic stroke.
Insulin-resistant patients with ischemic stroke or transient ischemic attack and a high risk of myocardial infarction or recurrent stroke are more likely to derive benefit from pioglitazone than those a lower risk.
There is a reduced risk of adverse events associated with genotype-guided warfarin dosing.
For long-term low-dose aspirin users, there is a 30% increased risk of CVD events with discontinuation of aspirin.
Low-dose oxygen use does not reduce death or disability at 3 months among patients with acute stroke.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Brainstem Damage in Epilepsy May Be Biomarker for Increased SUDEP Risk
- Increased Epilepsy Risk Identified in Multiple Sclerosis
- Distinct Clinical Characteristics Associated With Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
- Managing Chronic Pain Associated With Traumatic Brain Injury
- Prognostic Significance of Weight Loss in Patients With Early Parkinsonism
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- When and How to Approach Driving Cessation in Patients With Dementia
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Erenumab, Fremanezumab Reduce Migraine Frequency, Burden
- Some Antiepileptic Drugs Associated With Increased Risk for Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis
- McDonald Criteria Update: Further Distinction Between Relapsing-Remitting, Primary-Progressive MS
- Initial Treatment With Ethosuximide Improves Behavioral Outcomes in Childhood Absence Epilepsy
- Bivacizumab Wins Full FDA Approval for Glioblastoma Treatment
- Men With Parkinson Disease More Likely to Have Caregiver
- Diet Linked to Multiple Sclerosis Disability, Diseases Severity