In those older than age 65 years, high BP heightens risk for various forms of heart disease as well as for chronic kidney disease and diabetes mellitus.
The treatment of brain aneurysms may be improved with "awake" brain surgery.
Heterozygous mutations may play a role in familial cerebral small vessel disease.
Women who were obese and taking oral contraceptives had a 29-fold increased risk of CVT.
Compared to cognition, gait speed may be more predictive of mortality due to its relationship with other organ systems.
Loss of consciousness during subarachnoid hemorrhage is associated with a 2.8-fold increase in death and poor functional outcome at 1 year.
D-dimer level at 2 weeks after injury accurately predicts deep vein thrombosis formation.
More patients received VTE prophylaxis after implementation of guideline-based protocols.
The researchers recognize that more research needs to be done to study long-term effects.
There was no indication that any particular type of antidepressant was associated with a greater risk.
Cerebral microbleeds (CMBs) are a common MRI finding in elderly patients, and are associated with cognitive deficits.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Increased Mortality in Parkinson's Disease Linked to Low Antidepressant Adherence
- Age, Gender, and Cognition Predict Weight Loss in Parkinson's Disease
- MRI in Parkinson's Disease: Expanding Usability for Better Diagnostics
- Parkinson's: Sleep Disturbances Affect Clinical Motor Subtypes, Disability
- The Handoff: Your Week in Neurology News - 9/21/17
- Exenatide Presents Exciting Therapeutic Possibilities for Parkinson's Disease
- Cognitive Decline Related to Site Specific Mid-Life Adiposity
- Parkinson's, REM Sleep Disorder Combination Linked to Cognitive Decline
- Higher Doses of Pregabalin for Neuropathic Pain: Is it Safe?
- Buccal, Nasal Midazolam Most Cost-Effective for Pediatric Status Epilepticus
- Zika Virus Associated With High Risk for Neurologic Complications in Adults
- Evolocumab Has No Effect on Cognition in Patients Attaining Very Low Levels of LDL Cholesterol
- Acute Oxygen Therapy for Cluster Headahce Not Prohibitively Expensive
- β-2 Adrenergic Agonists Linked to α-synuclein Transcription and Risk of PD
- Little Evidence to Support Doctor, Patient Electronic Communication Guidelines