Patients with the lowest bone mineral density had the largest aneurysm size.
In older adults, lower cardiac index is linked to lower cerebral blood blow in the temporal lobe.
The trial, sponsored by the University of Birmingham, is currently recruiting participants.
There is some evidence that suggests intravenous thrombolysis for stroke may impair the blood-brain barrier and cause cerebral edema.
The treatment of brain aneurysms may be improved with "awake" brain surgery.
About 1 in 20 patients with VTE have occult cancer detected within a year.
The study group concluded that the current recommendation for CSF pressure reduction therapy to relieve headaches attributed to IIH should be removed from the International Classification of Headache Disorders 3b criteria.
Heterozygous mutations may play a role in familial cerebral small vessel disease.
At 90-days, the rate of thrombotic events in both groups was low.
Reduced door-to-needle times have been shown to improve outcomes after stroke.
Although decreased blood flow velocity correlates with arterial dilatation, studies using transcranial Doppler ultrasound to evaluate intracranial vasodilatation during migraine report conflicting results.
Compared with other sources of ICH, those associated with arteriovenous malformations had lower odds of death.
Monitored anesthesia was found to be as safe and effective as general anesthesia in patients undergoing endovascular therapy for stroke.
Several mechanisms involving trigeminovascular activation are often proposed in the literature as mechanisms underlying nonhemorrhagic headache in patients with AVM.
The relative risk of developing ischemic stroke was increased in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, especially within the first year after diagnosis.
Neurologists need to engage their emergency medicine colleagues to identify protocols and pathways for when to trigger appropriate neurological consultation or initiate acute stroke therapies.
During the study period, the percentage of people with 3 or more stroke risk factors roughly doubled for all age groups.
Previous studies have produced contradictory evidence of a link between serum UA and stroke risk, with some pointing to greater risks in women compared with men.
Over 32% of patients were functionally independent at 90 days and 37.1% were functionally independent at 2 years.
Serum neurofilament light chain levels show potential in predicting the burden and progression of cerebral small vessel disease.
Use of mobile stroke units is associated with reduced time to imaging and thrombolysis compared with traditional care.
Up to 20% of stroke cases in young adults occur in those with cervical artery dissection, the leading cause of stroke in this population.
Clinicians should closely monitor patients with atrial fibrillation, especially if they are female and of increasing age.
The increase in usage of antithrombotics, especially vitamin K antagonists, has been linked to an increase in prevalence of subdural hematomas.
Glucocorticoids are often prescribed to RCVS patients either due to a misdiagnosis of PACNS, or fear of missing PACNS.
Hormone therapy may reduce risk for death from vascular dementia in older women.
Despite 3 large randomized trials and updated guidelines, the question of PFO closure remains a complex entity.
Risk of VTE was only observed in patients with migraine with aura, suggesting a mechanistic link between the 2 conditions.
Microbleeds were prevalent in 15.3% of the cohort.
Ticagrelor may have an opportunity to shine in patients already on aspirin or clopidogrel.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Coffee Consumption May Decrease Stroke Risk
- Prochlorperazine More Effective Than Ketamine for Headache Relief in the Emergency Department
- CTE Confirmed With Antemortem PET Imaging, Autopsy in Professional Football Player
- Intranasal Sumatriptan More Effectively Reduces Migraine-Associated Nausea
- Neuropsychiatric Conditions Common in Relatives of Patients With Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Treating Cluster Headache: Weighing Current Therapies
- Alzheimer Disease Linked to High Cumulative Doses of Zolpidem in Elderly
- NBT System Gets FDA Clearance for Depression Treatment
- Better Migraine Pain Relief With IV Non-Opioid Combination vs IV Hydromorphone
- FDA Approves Myasthenia Gravis Treatment
- Reports of Agranulocytosis Prompt Monitoring for Investigational Parkinson's Drug
- Nusinersen Improves Motor Function, Survival in Infants With Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Noninvasive Brain Stimulation System Approved for Depression
- Hypertension Guidelines Updated by AHA/ACA
- Bone Mineral Density Associated With Intracranial Aneurysm Presence, Size