From 1997-1998 to 2015-2016, there was an increase in the prevalence of ADHD among children,
Methylphenidate should be considered as a first choice for the treatment of ADHD in children and adolescents.
There is a modest, but statistically significant, association between higher frequency of digital media use and subsequent symptoms of ADHD among adolescents.
A literature review was conducted to assess the association between hypertensive disorders of pregnancy and neurodevelopmental disorders in offspring.
Investigators sought to investigate the association between the use of diethylstilbestrol during pregnancy on risk for ADHD in subsequent generations.
Early preterm birth is associated with a higher level of ADHD symptoms in preschool children.
There are considerable gaps in knowledge relating to the effectiveness of non-pharmacologic treatments for ADHD in pediatric patients.
From 2000 through 2011 there was an increase in pediatric ADHD medication exposures reported to US poison control centers.
Levels of magnesium, folate, vitamin B12, zinc, and vitamin D 25-OH were significantly altered in children with ADHD.
Co-occurrence of ADHD is common in children with autism spectrum disorder.
Reductions in bilateral frontal, parietal, and temporal lobe gray matter volumes found in ADHD.
Severe pediatric traumatic brain injury increases secondary ADHD risk.
Paternal use of SSRIs before conception is linked to an increased risk of ADHD in offspring.
No overall difference in terms of total brain volume or total gray and white matter volume for children with ADHD and control subjects was observed.
There is an increased relative risk of preclampsia linked with psychostimulant use while pregnant.
Patients who take medication for ADHD may have a lower risk of developing a substance abuse disorder.
Significant differences in volume were apparent in the amygdala, caudate, hippocampus, and putamen.
Children with medium to low adherence to the diet had a 3 to 7 times greater risk of ADHD.
PRS presents a good tool to measure genetic loading of ADHD variants, suggesting which cases are most likely to persist.
A diagnosis of autism is associated with a doubled risk for a variety of substance use-related problems including drug and alcohol use disorders.
DNA methylation may occur as a result of poor nutrition during pregnancy.
No similar association was seen in mothers who used acetaminophen after delivery, nor with paternal use.
The 2 conditions combined produced a risk more than 3 times greater than for those without the conditions.
Similar executive functions are affected in ADHD and OCD, but differences exist in brain structure and function.
The CDC is encouraging health care professionals to explain the benefits of behavioral therapy to parents.
About 25% of children in the study had lower than normal levels.
The association was found to be significant for females, but not males.
Children with ADHD had weaker connections between the salience, default mode, and central executive networks.
Long-term, large, better-quality trials are needed to better asses efficacy.
Methylphenidate medications like Ritalin and amphetamines like Adderall cause sleep problems.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- US Opioid Overdose Deaths Reach Record Number
- Migraine Treatment in the ED: Overcoming Our Penchant for Opioids
- Abnormalities in Genes Linked to IRSP in Alzheimer Disease
- Erenumab as a Therapy for Hard to Treat Episodic Migraine
- Recommended Levels of Cardiovascular Risk Factors Associated With Cerebral Vessel Density, Flow
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Addressing Levodopa-Resistant Parkinson Disease
- Cannabidiol Gets Orphan Drug Status for Preventing Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury
- Early Clinical Predictors of Mortality in Parkinson Disease, Parkinsonism
- Lasmiditan NDA Submitted for Acute Treatment of Migraine
- HHS: Updated Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans Released
- 18F-FDG PET Algorithm Allows Early Prediction of Alzheimer's