Visits to the emergency department were also reduced.
Continuous analysis of EEG output helps the algorithm adapt to changes in brain activity.
Structural MRI revealed differences in white matter in people with intractable epilepsy compared to healthy controls.
A large, multi-center study found cannabidiol effective for the reduction of seizures
The Brain Sentinel device was as sensitive as vEEG review by an epileptologist for seizure detection.
Cardiac dysrhythmia may contribute to pathophysiology in a proportion of SUDEP cases.
Heart rate, arterial oxygenation, and electrodermal activity improved accuracy compared with heart rate alone.
These functional analyses suggest that the circadian pathway may be a promising target for therapeutic intervention.
Mutations were identified in 7 genes, including one for the first time.
Incorporating mental health screenings in epilepsy appointments may help prevent suicides.
WES identified a definite/likely diagnosis in 32% of patients and a possible diagnosis in 22% of patients, for an overall yield of 54%.
The 30-minute assessment may help identify those at highest risk of cognitive problems.
Impairment in recalling names, routes, stories, messages, and a space/time disorientation can adversely impact social adaptation.
Inhibiting the pathway upstream of mTOR at the level of PI3K signaling, a locus of significant molecular crosstalk in this pathway, restored the seizure-induced learning and memory deficits.
White matter integrity plays an important part in the neural signature of cognitive impairment in early onset epilepsy.
fMRI-DES could be used for full-brain volume evaluation of brain connectivity and help lead to the refinement of laser ablative procedures for epilepsy.
Ruben Kuzniecky, MD, outlines what to expect at this year's American Epilepsy Society Annual Meeting.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans
- Conscious Sedation Increases Risk of Poor Functional Outcome, Mortality Following Stroke Treatment