Clobazam is currently FDA-approved for the treatment of seizures associated with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome in children 2 years and older.
The diagnostic tool may be especially useful in cases of nonlesional mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.
Patients with refractory epilepsy who fail to benefit from 2 or more AEDs should be referred to alternative therapies.
Patients who died from suspected SUDEP had extensive damage to areas of the mid-brain and brainstem that control autonomic function.
Continuous Infusion in Refractory Status Epilepticus Linked to Increased Mortality, Longer Hospital StayDecember 03, 2017
Researchers compared outcomes between patients treated with continuous infusion or repeated doses of nonbenzodiazepine anti-seizure medication.
Cannabidiol Effective for Reducing Drop Seizures in Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome Regardless of Clobazam UseDecember 03, 2017
The study was a post-hoc analysis of responders who were on or off concomitant clobazam.
Patients undergoing treatment for ischemic stroke are at greater risk for seizure development.
Researchers examined whether there are clinical features or treatments associated with neuropsychiatric outcomes in BECTS.
Treatment algorithms are needed for patients with epilepsy who present with evidence of bone loss.
Treatment with positive airway pressure may help retain or improve seizure control in patients with epilepsy and obstructive sleep apnea.
Preoperative cognitive function is a central component of predicting cognitive outcomes after resective epilepsy surgery.
This objective score may have the potential to be an early outpatient screening tool for identifying PNES.
Researchers suggest the combined effects of adrenarche and menarche may play a role in the relationship.
The investigators advised that patients who require continued-dose escalation should be transitioned to a first-line therapy for absence epilepsy.
Compared with previous research, the current study found little risk for SUDEP in children without cognitive deficit.
Approximately one-third of pediatric patients with refractory convulsive status epilepticus develop neurologic deficits.
Although unplanned, women with epilepsy were very likely to take required prenatal vitamins.
Add-on Cannabidiol Generally Safe for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy, Dravet, Lennox-Gastaut SyndromesDecember 02, 2017
Adverse reactions in the CBD group included decreased appetite, diarrhea, fatigue, lethargy, nasopharyngitis, pneumonia, pyrexia, rash, and somnolence.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Screening Tool Differentiates Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Parkinson Disease
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans