Amantadine HCl Syrup Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amantadine HCl 50mg/5mL; raspberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amantadine HCl Syrup:
Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal reactions.
Parkinsonism monotherapy: initially 100mg twice daily, may increase after 1–2 weeks by 100mg daily. Serious associated illness or high doses of other antiparkinson drugs: 100mg once daily, may increase after 1 to several weeks to 100mg twice daily; max 400mg/day in divided doses. Extrapyramidal disorders: 100mg twice daily; max 300mg/day in divided doses. Renal dysfunction: reduce dose; see literature.
Adjust dose gradually. History of seizures. Heart failure. Orthostatic hypotension. Peripheral edema. Renal (CrCl <50mL/min) or hepatic dysfunction. Psychiatric disorders. Suicidal ideation. History of recurrent eczematoid rash. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with CNS stimulants. Thioridazine may worsen tremor in elderly patients with parkinsonism.
Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (when drug is withdrawn or dose is reduced), nausea, dizziness, insomnia, heart failure, anxiety, irritability, hallucinations, confusion, anorexia, anticholinergic effects, constipation, ataxia, livedo reticularis, peripheral edema, orthostatic hypotension, headache, somnolence, dream abnormality, diarrhea, fatigue.
Formerly known under the brand name Symmetrel.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure