Generic Name and Formulations:
Aminolevulinic acid HCl 10%; gel; contains isopropyl alcohol.
Indications for AMELUZ:
In combination with photodynamic therapy (PDT) using BF-RhodoLED lamp (red light illumination source), for the treatment of mild-to-moderate actinic keratoses on the face and scalp.
Clean and prepare all lesions prior to application. Apply gel approx. 1mm thick and include approx. 5mm of the surrounding skin. Use sufficient amount of gel to cover lesion(s) and entire area. Max application area of 20cm2 and max 2g (1 tube) use at one time. Cover treated area with occlusive dressing for 3 hours, then remove dressing and any remaining gel; immediately following illumination with red light: see full labeling. Treated lesions not completely resolved after 12 weeks may be retreated.
<18yrs: not established.
Porphyrin hypersensitivity. Porphyria. Photodermatoses.
Administered by healthcare provider only. In combination with PDT may cause transient amnestic episodes. Not for ophthalmic, oral, or intravaginal use. Avoid sunlight, prolonged, or intense light (eg, tanning beds, sunlamps) on lesions and surrounding skin for 2 days after treatment. Avoid applying to eyes, mucous membranes. Inherited or acquired coagulation disorders. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May increase risk of phototoxic reaction to PDT with concomitant other photosensitizing agents (eg, St. John's wort, griseofulvin, thiazides, sulfonylureas, phenothiazines, sulfonamides, quinolones, tetracyclines).
Application site erythema, pain/burning, irritation, edema, pruritus, exfoliation, scab, induration, vesicles, paresthesia, hyperalgesia; ophthalmic reactions, increased photosensitivity.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure