Amoxicillin Suspension Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Amoxicillin (as trihydrate) 125mg/5mL, 250mg/5mL; raspberry-strawberry flavor.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Amoxicillin Suspension:
Susceptible infections including ear/nose/throat (ENT), genitourinary tract, skin and skin structures, lower respiratory, acute uncomplicated gonorrhea.
ENT, genitourinary, or skin: 250mg every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 500mg every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: 3g once. Renal impairment: glomerular filtration rate (GFR) 10–30mL/min: 250mg or 500mg every 12hrs; GFR <10mL/min or hemodialysis: 250mg or 500mg every 24hrs (give additional dose during and at end of dialysis).
≥40kg: as adult. ≤3 months: max 30mg/kg per day in 2 divided doses every 12hrs. >3 months (<40kg): ENT, genitourinary, skin: 20mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Severe, less susceptible, or lower respiratory infections: 40mg/kg per day in 3 divided doses every 8hrs. Gonorrhea: <2yrs: not recommended; prepubertal: amoxicillin 50mg/kg + probenecid 25mg/kg as a single dose.
Cephalosporin, imipenem or other allergy: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function in long-term use. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Serum levels increased by probenecid.
GI upset, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, urticaria, rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, anaphylaxis), hyperactivity, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Amoxil, Trimox, Ultimox, Wymox (caps, susp), Polymox (susp).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Clarifying Cardiovascular Risk in Migraine
- Parkinson Disease Symptom Fluctuations Well-Managed With Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
- More Evidence Supports Benefits of Cannabidiol for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Monthly Erenumab Reduces Frequency of Episodic Migraine
- Reduced Risk for Multiple Sclerosis Linked to Greater Sun Exposure
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Gait Difficulty in Parkinson Disease May Be Associated With More Progressive Disease Course
- Tau PET a Useful Biomarker for Alzheimer Disease Risk and Progression
- Multiple Sclerosis Drug Zinbryta Withdrawn From the Market
- Incidence of Delayed Traumatic Intracranial Hemorrhage Low in Older Adults With Blunt Head Trauma
- Older Epilepsy Patients More Likely to Experience AED, Non-AED Drug Interaction
- Female Gender, Natalizumab Exposure Associated With Increased Lymphopenia Risk in FNG-Treated MS
- Accelerated Cognitive Decline Associated With Retinopathy
- Treatment Effects Often Exaggerated in Early Clinical Studies