Ampicillin sodium Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 125mg, 250mg, 500mg, 1g, 2g, 10g; per vial; pwd for IV or IM inj after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ampicillin sodium Injection:
Adults and Children:
Give IV inj slowly over at least 10–15 minutes; rapid IV administration may result in convulsive seizures. Respiratory tract and soft tissue infections: <40kg: 25–50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 250–500mg every 6 hours. GI or GU tract infections (including N. gonorrhoeae in women): <40kg: 50mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 6–8 hours. ≥40kg: 500mg every 6 hours. Urethritis in males due to N. gonorrhoeae: two doses of 500mg each at interval of 8–12 hours. Meningitis: Initiate with IV drip, then continue IM. 150–200mg/kg per day in equally divided doses every 3–4 hours. Septicimia: Initiate IV for at least 3 days, then continue IM every 3–4 hours. 150–200mg/kg per day; treat for at least 10 days if caused by Group A β-hemolytic streptococci.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, other allergy or mononucleosis: not recommended. Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. May increase risk of rash with allopurinol.
Anaphylaxis, urticaria, GI upset, blood dyscrasias.
Formerly known under the brand names Principen, Totacillin, Pfizerpen-A, Penbritin, Omnipen, Amcill (caps, susp); Polycillin-N, Totacillin-N, Penbritin-S, Omnipen-N (inj).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Models Predict Intracerebral Hemorrhage Growth
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy