Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
Patients older than 65 were more likely to have steeper declines in slow vital capacity.
Repeat expansion of the C9orf72 gene does not account for the elevated prevalence of neuropsychiatric disease in relatives of patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
The findings suggest that changes in immune status may be a consequence of ALS.
Results suggest that sex hormones may play a role in the development of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Radicava is the first FDA approved treatment for ALS in over 20 years.
There is a higher risk of death from Parkinson's disease or ALS in white collar workers.
Signals sent to the hand emerge as a typed message on a tablet computer, according to the report.
The foods most negatively correlated with ALSFRS-R score were milk, lunchmeats, and beef and pork.
The results indicate HERV-K activation as a potential mechanism for HIV-associated ALS.
The study was an international effort that sequenced the genomes of at least 15,000 individuals with ALS.
The study was to examine the safety of the procedure.
Researchers believe that the findings may present an opportunity to modify risk.
Depression of some degree is prevalent in a majority of patients with ALS.
Data from the Women's Health Initiative suggest a relationship between strenuous exercise and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Addressing proteasome dysfunction may help prevent accumulation of the toxic protein.
Results indicate that IT and IM administration of MSC-NTF cells is safe in patients with ALS and may ultimately provide clinical benefit.
A gene mutation behind a large amount of ALS and FTD cases may disrupt nuclear transport, destroying neurons.
Researchers are now testing whether antiretroviral drugs used to treat HIV/AIDS are effective in ALS patients.
A high fat diet, but low BMI suggest an altered energy metabolism that may contribute to ALS.
The researchers stressed that the results do not indicate a cause-and-effect link between formaldehyde exposure and ALS.
The findings of this study were at odds with previous findings.
The mechanism behind the link is still unknown.
Neuroimaging could enable better classification of patients and provide information on affected brain regions.
The mouse model will allow researchers to effectively test therapeutic compounds.
Genervon has requested accelerated approval from the FDA for its experimental ALS drug, GM604.
Threshold-tracking transcranial magnetic stimulation could be a useful diagnostic technique in the clinical setting.
C9orf72 hypermethylation helps protect the brain against damage in ALS and frontotemporal degeneration.
Researchers are now working to identify compounds for new drug targets.
Researchers believe the finding has implications for other neurodegenerative diseases.
Vitamin D deficiency is known to contribute to neurodegenerative diseases like dementia, however its connection to ALS is not yet well understood.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Screening Tool Differentiates Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Parkinson Disease
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans