Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
A new immunotherapy appears to be well tolerated and possibly of benefit in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
There is a linear correlation for physical activity with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Investigators sought to identify genetic factors that may contribute to the risk for neurodegenerative diseases, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia.
Investigators assessed patients with sporadic ALS to determine the relationship between somatosensory cortex excitability and survival prognosis.
Researchers found that for men with any occupational exposure to diesel exhaust, the odds ratio for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis increased with increasing lag periods.
Pseudobulbar affect is characterized by episodes of inappropriate laughing or crying, and may be associated with increased anxiety and depression, as well as lower mental health status.
Patients who received 100 mg/day riluzole spent significantly more time in stage 4 than patients who were randomly assigned to placebo.
Further research is warranted to clarify the role played by insulin resistance in the pathogenesis of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
The prevalence of ALS in the United States has been steady.
Due to the rarity of rapidly progressive SOD1 ALS, this study had a small sample size and may be limited in power.
Researchers recently identified 5 key challenges that collectively hinder the design of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis clinical trials and the development of new treatments.
Radicava is the first approved treatment for ALS in over 20 years.
More accurate prediction of ALS prognosis can allow for better planned palliative care.
Reports of pain may indicate a preclinical course of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
Mindfulness meditation was associated with improvements in measures of anxiety, depression, and negative thoughts.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans
- Conscious Sedation Increases Risk of Poor Functional Outcome, Mortality Following Stroke Treatment