Generic Name and Formulations:
Bivalirudin 250mg/vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution and dilution.
The Medicines Company
Indications for ANGIOMAX:
Anticoagulation with concomitant aspirin in: unstable angina undergoing percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA); patients with, or at risk of, heparin–induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and thrombosis syndrome (HITTS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), and in patients undergoing PCI with provisional use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa (GPI).
Give with aspirin 300–325mg daily: initiate 0.75mg/kg IV bolus (may give additional bolus of 0.3mg/kg after 5mins, if needed in those without HIT/HITTS), followed by 1.75mg/kg/hr for duration of procedure. May continue infusion up to 4hrs post-procedure; after 4hrs, may give additional infusion of 0.2mg/kg/hr up to 20hrs, if needed. Renal impairment: CrCl <30mL/min: reduce infusion rate to 1mg/kg/hr; hemodialysis: 0.25mg/kg/hr.
Active major bleeding.
Consider stopping if symptoms of bleeding occur. Increased risk of thrombus formation with brachytherapy. Diseases associated with an increased bleeding risk. Monitor for acute stent thrombosis and signs/symptoms of MI in STEMI patients following PCI. Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with warfarin, heparin, thrombolytics. Interferes with INR measurements.
Bleeding, back pain, pain, headache, GI upset, hypo- or hypertension, inj site pain, urinary retention.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA Fast-Tracks Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics