Generic Name and Formulations:
Bivalirudin 250mg/vial; pwd for IV inj after reconstitution and dilution.
The Medicines Company
Indications for ANGIOMAX:
Anticoagulation with concomitant aspirin in: unstable angina undergoing percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA); patients with, or at risk of, heparin–induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) and thrombosis syndrome (HITTS) undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), and in patients undergoing PCI with provisional use of glycoprotein IIb/IIIa (GPI).
Give with aspirin 300–325mg daily: initiate 0.75mg/kg IV bolus (may give additional bolus of 0.3mg/kg after 5mins, if needed in those without HIT/HITTS), followed by 1.75mg/kg/hr for duration of procedure. May continue infusion up to 4hrs post-procedure; after 4hrs, may give additional infusion of 0.2mg/kg/hr up to 20hrs, if needed. Renal impairment: CrCl <30mL/min: reduce infusion rate to 1mg/kg/hr; hemodialysis: 0.25mg/kg/hr.
Active major bleeding.
Consider stopping if symptoms of bleeding occur. Increased risk of thrombus formation with brachytherapy. Diseases associated with an increased bleeding risk. Monitor for acute stent thrombosis and signs/symptoms of MI in STEMI patients following PCI. Renal impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Increased bleeding risk with warfarin, heparin, thrombolytics. Interferes with INR measurements.
Bleeding, back pain, pain, headache, GI upset, hypo- or hypertension, inj site pain, urinary retention.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure