Generic Name and Formulations:
Lorazepam 0.5mg, 1mg+, 2mg+; tabs; +scored.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for ATIVAN:
Give in 2 or 3 divided doses, with largest dose taken at bedtime. Individualize. Initially 2–3mg daily; range: 1–10mg daily. Elderly or debilitated: initially 1–2mg daily; adjust gradually if needed.
Acute narrow-angle glaucoma.
Risks from concomitant use with opioids; see Interactions. Therapy for >4 months. Discontinue if paradoxical reactions occur. Primary depressive disorder or psychosis: not recommended. Suicidal tendencies (monitor). Renal or hepatic impairment. Compromised respiratory function. Seizure disorder. Reevaluate periodically. Monitor blood counts, liver function with long-term use. Abuse potential (monitor). Drug or alcohol abuse. Avoid abrupt cessation. Change dose gradually. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (during the 1st trimester), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased sedation, respiratory depression, coma, and death with concomitant opioids; reserve use in those for whom alternative treatment options are inadequate; if needed, limit dosages/durations to minimum and monitor. Potentiation of CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants (eg, barbiturates, antipsychotics, sedatives/hypnotics, anxiolytics, others). Caution with clozapine. May be potentiated by probenecid or valproate (reduce lorazepam dose by 50%). May be antagonized by theophylline, aminophylline.
CNS depression (esp. sedation), dizziness, weakness, unsteadiness, transient memory impairment, confusion, disorientation, nausea, change in appetite, headache, sleep apnea.
Tabs—100, 500, 1000
Neurology Advisor Articles
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- Smoking Promotes Disease Progression in Multiple Sclerosis
- Situation Framing, Language Can Influence Decision-Making
- Thrombolysis With Tenecteplase Is as Safe as Alteplase in Stroke Mimics
- FDA: Opioid Analgesic REMS Expanded to Include Immediate-Release Products