Lynn L. Simpson, Author at Neurology Advisor

Lynn L. Simpson

All articles by Lynn L. Simpson

Congenital Heart Disease

Maternal Congenital Heart Disease in Pregnancy 1. What every clinician should know Congenital heart disease (CHD) is the most common birth defect, affecting 8 out of 1,000 live births. Advances in surgical techniques and medical therapies have resulted in approximately 85% of children born with structural heart defects surviving to childbearing age. Today CHD comprises…

Fetal Tachycardia

Fetal Tachycardia 1. What every clinician should know Clinical features and incidence Fetal tachycardia is defined as a heart rate greater than 160-180 beats per minute (bpm). This rapid rate may have a regular or irregular rhythm which may be intermittent or sustained. A sustained fetal tachyarrhythmia is uncommon, affecting fewer than 1% of all…

TRAP Syndrome

Twin Reversed Arterial Perfusion (TRAP) Syndrome or Sequence 1. What every clinician should know Clinical features and incidence Twin reversed arterial perfusion (TRAP) sequence is a rare condition unique to identical twins. Overall, TRAP affects about 1% of all monozygotic twins with 75% occurring in monochorionic-diamniotic twins and the remaining 25% in monoamniotic twins. TRAP…

Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS)

Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome (TTTS) 1. What every clinician should know Clinical features and incidence Twin-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) is a condition that affects about 10% of monozygotic twins. Although the pathophysiology of TTTS is not completely understood, placental anastomoses that link the circulations of the twins are critical for its development. In affected pregnancies, blood…

Next post in Obstetrics and Gynecology