Autism Spectrum Disorder
Common allergic conditions, especially food allergy, are associated with autism spectrum disorder in children.
There is international consensus as to the importance of work experience and vocational training for helping individuals with ASD obtain employment.
There are currently no approved pharmacological treatments that address these core symptoms of ASD.
Medical records of 48 children examined by Asperger show that he specifically called for 12 of the children to be transferred to the Am Spieglegrund facility, the 'euthanasia' institution founded in 1940.
Although compensating for their difficulties may help people with ASD connect with others, get jobs, and successfully navigate social situations, accumulating research suggests it can also lead to exhaustion, burnout, anxiety, and depression.
Co-occurrence of ADHD is common in children with autism spectrum disorder.
Vaccination rates were significantly lower among younger siblings of children with ASD.
Researchers reported the results of a stereological analysis of the number of neurons in the amygdala nuclei to compare neurotypical development to autism spectrum disorder development.
The group with ASD had a greater mean depth of ultrasonographic penetration in the first trimester compared with the developmental delay group.
Children who are exposed to AEDs in utero may have a reduced risk of autistic traits.
Although the prevalence of autism spectrum disorder is known to be more common among males than among females in the general population, information on sex-specific recurrence patterns is lacking.
Lower odds of ASD with intellectual disability were seen in the maternal multivitamin use group with or without additional iron or folic acid.
The treatment was effective in patients with autism with or without comorbid ADHD or neurogenetic disorders.
Investigators have developed guidelines to follow for the use of art therapy in children with autism spectrum disorder.
Antidepressant use before conception was associated with a higher risk of autism spectrum disorders compared with antidepressant use during pregnancy.
All of the studies were small, including anywhere from 12 to 92 children, and they typically lasted less than 6 months.
Infants at risk for autism do better if therapists train parents to communicate more effectively.
The FDA has warned and/or taken action against a number of companies that have made improper claims about the intended use of their products to treat or cure autism.
Despite increased awareness, barriers to earlier diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder still persist.
An open-label study examined the effects of fecal microbiota transfer on symptoms of autism.
Infection with the flu or receiving the flu vaccine during pregnancy was not linked to autism in offspring.
A diagnosis of autism is associated with a doubled risk for a variety of substance use-related problems including drug and alcohol use disorders.
Although PCB chemicals were banned int he 1970s, they still linger in the environment.
Administration of the M-CHAT/F can be done by minimally trained PCPs.
The rate of autism diagnosis was 11.3% for those with an older sibling with autism, and .92% for those without.
Children with autism had a hearing deficit within a specific frequency.
The results are contrary to results from a prior large population study.
Ziprasidone and quetiapine were not associated with an increase in BMI.
The authors suggest that it's "perhaps not a fair direct comparison" to note that the CDC&P estimate of community prevalence for ASD is 15 per 1000 children.
The results indicate a 10-fold increased risk of future ASD in patients with epilepsy
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Epilepsy's Mobility Problem: Advocating for Changes in Transportation Laws, Public Resources
- The Future of Freezing of Gait in Parkinson's: Exploring Potential Treatments and Preventive Strategies
- Efficacy of Cladribine Tablets in Patients With Relapsing Multiple Sclerosis
- Mirtazapine for Fibromyalgia: An Effective Treatment Option?
- Some Common Allergies Linked to Odds of Autism in Children
- Polyphenol-Rich Diet May Reduce Dementia Risk in Older Adults
- Addressing Migraine That Mimics Stroke
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Visual Association Test, MMSE Highly Predictive of Dementia in Older Adults
- Medical Cannabis Shows Promise in Treating Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- IV Fluid Specs Do Not Influence Neuro Outcomes in Kids w/DKA
- Acute Insomnia Found to Be Common Among Good Sleepers
- Cognitive Performance, Mood Deficits, White Matter Hyperintensities in Migraine
- Focal Brain Atrophy Predicts Cognitive Decline in Parkinson Disease After DBS